cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Forwarding NOT working on my Hub3

Utukku
Tuning in

Hi, getting desperate now....

I am trying to port forward ports 1024, 6800 & 6805. This is for running retro software on retro computers. I have followed every instruction and video, even used Port Forwarding Network Utilities program that can log onto my router, identify it and set the port fowarding up for me. and still it does not work. Every port scanner I use tell me those ports are closed.

I even booted up a basic edition of Linux Manjaro to try, but got the same results. So that rules out anything to do with Windows10. I know the computers are on the internal network, as I have reserved IP address to them. If I Ping each address they connect. Plus I can browse the web from them. But I need these ports to forward correctly.

So just to confirm if I want port 1024 forwarded to my retro pc which is 192.168.0.99, I create a new rule with 192.168.0.99 IP address in the Local IP box, then 1024 local port range, and 1024 in the external port range, and set to BOTH for protocol and apply changes. Which I believe to be correct but doesnt actually work!!!

Please help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Time to to get a retro wireless router with 1Gb ports and use the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are you sure the machine is listening on the correct port when you test if it's open? Port mapping discovery will only work when the port is open.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

The retro software I have setup has been configured correctly for the correct ports. I even had this confirmed with an online chat with the software author. I sent him pics of the configuration settings. I have also tried 3 different retro programs, on a pc and a Raspberry Pi, none of which connect. I used the Shields Up to scan, and it reports them as being there but not open.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Time to to get a retro wireless router with 1Gb ports and use the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Seeing this answer a lot
why are virgin not updating the firmware so these so called superhubs actually work with the software thats on them
rather than expecting people after paying extra 35 activation fee to then have to go out and pay for a router?

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @PorkChop_UK,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm very sorry to hear that you're unhappy with how our Hubs are set up. 

You can take a look at our website for more information about Port Forwarding and how to set this up. Please let us know if there's anything else we can do to help.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Exactly what I did. If Only I could change the actual modem for a good quality one that does what it's supposed to... But Virgin won't allow that.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Utukku wrote:
Exactly what I did. If Only I could change the actual modem for a good quality one that does what it's supposed to... But Virgin won't allow that.

No, but you can use Modem mode and your own networking kit as a lot of people here do.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

This is exactly what I have done for the last 10 years.

Have you been able to try a different 3rd party hub?

^Martin