cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pausing Devices Not Working

LisaG123
Joining in

When I pause devices which I don’t recognize. They don’t stay paused. It’s becoming extremely frustrating as I don’t know what these devices are. 

17 REPLIES 17

Client62
Legend

Unknown / unknown devices are your equipment that when pinged by the Hub does not return a host name.

In our Hub there are 8 or 10 such devices and they are TVs / Sky Q / Kindles / an HP PC / a Cisco phone.

Just be warned, Wi-Fi pausing with the VM Connect app is lethal.  Later you may well find the Connect app is not listing all the paused devices and if those blocked items turn out to be an office VPN or your heating system or a CCTV camera life will not be rosy.

LisaG123
Joining in

I have named all my devices so I know which ones should be un-paused. My point is that when I pause 'unknown' devices (and a couple are old ones an old flatmate used to use who left 5 months ago) - shortly afterwards they are un-paused again - so what is the point of the feature>

Client62
Legend

Normally the DHCP lease time on a IP address is 24 hours, after that period expires we would not expect to see an entry for an inactive / gone away device remaining on the Hub list of devices. So that is odd.

For modern mobiles and laptops the devices are able to change their MAC address at random. Had you said I paused a device & it changed its MAC and became online again, that would be understandable.

But the idea that a paused device, maintains the same MAC and becomes online again is odd. Might that mean another person is using the Connect app or directly removing the pause via the Hub or some other fault exists.

In the admin menu of the Hub we can see the list of paused Wi-Fi and MAC filtering entries, it would be interesting to check if when you pause a problem device does it end up on those lists. i.e. is the Connect app doing what is expected to do or just going through the motions. Hub admin menu is at http://192.168.0.1/

Might be worth mentioning which Hub you have to see if others are seeing a similar situation.

That link isn't secure?

I have a Hub3

I went into the hub menu and deleted the unknown devices - they are still showing in the app and nothing will pause. It is driving me mad - I have about 30 mac addresses I don't recognise in the app (whih werent in the hub menu)

Client62
Legend

The Connect app is clearly broken, this is why we do not use it with our Hub 3.

I see ok.

Also - when I type in the 192... address to access router settings it comes up as not secure - is this normal?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

yes

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi @LisaG123,

Thank you for your posts and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having some trouble with the Connect App recently. Have you tried removing and then reinstalling the app to see if that helps alleviate things at all?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!