cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost my 2g and 5g networks

Shetlandtim
Joining in

I have a Hub 3 as a model only and a nighthawk router. A few weeks ago I lost my separate 2g and 5g networks, a separate combined 2 and 5g network remained. VM said there was an issue in my area and would take some days to fix. I went away on holiday and while I was away I had a text from VM saying the problem was now resolved. I have just returned from holiday and restarted my system and my 2g and 5g networks are still missing.  I have a music streaming system that will not work on the combined 2g and 5g network so I must get back the separate 2g and 5g networks. How do I solve this problem

15 REPLIES 15

Cardiffman282
Knows their stuff

I would expect via the Nighthawk settings with Hub in modem mode. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

I am sorry but I don’t understand this answer

Follow the linked instructions and disable auto/smart connection. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

Your nighthawk router is doing the wifi nothing to do with VM if by wire is fine then wire is fine if wifi is not fine your nighthawk router is the problem.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks but I don’t understand why it should be the Nighthawk at fault, the problem only occurred when there was a VM issue

I am not sure I understand this. The nighthawk is connected to the Hub 3 by Ethernet cable

Once, you're connected to your WiFi open an internet browser. 

In the address bar, type 192.168.1.1 or routerlogin.net. 

A screen will pop up asking you to put in your username and password or the Netgear genie page that helps you set that up. If you have the latter, just follow the prompts.

If the Netgear genie setup doesn't show up, enter in what you saw on the bottom of your router. If those don't work, check the manual for that information.

Click Sign in and you've successfully made it into your router settings.

How to tweak Netgear router Wi-Fi settings

1. On the landing page, you'll see options like Internet, Wireless, Attached Devices, and Parental Controls.
  1. Choose the Wireless option.
  2. Inside Wireless, you'll see a list of options and numbers.

1. DISABLE Smart Connect here. 

If your VM hub is in modem mode (as hinted as in your opening post), then it isn’t broadcasting any WiFi at all, and everything is being done by your Nighthawk router.

VM’s customer services people might have told you that there was an issue in the area, and indeed there might have been (don’t bet your life on it though*), but even if there was, this can, and would, have absolutely no connection to what WiFi bands are being transmitted.

Assuming that the hub is, indeed in modem mode, then by necessity, your devices are ok connected via your  Nighthawk router and are blissfully unaware that the VM hub even exists - the issue is with that, not the VM hub!

*I’ll take a guess here, having explained to the ‘expert’ on the phone about your WiFi issue, they had absolutely no idea what you were talking about, it not appearing on their pre-set menu and list of options, so they did the, not uncommon, response of ‘just make something up’! Gets you off the phone, they chalk up another successfully closed call, all’s well in the world! Well except for your devices, but who cares about that? Certainly not VM!

shetland
Joining in

Thanks for this.

How do I know if my Hub 3 is in modem mode ?  Is it it possible to use the Nighthawk if the Hub3 is not in modem mode ? 

why would the 5g and 2g networks suddenly disappear ?

The Nighthawk has 2 lights for 2g and 5g, both those lights are now off