cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5x faulty Ethernet port

AmourViva
Joining in

I’ve just had Virgin Media installed. I’m in a nexfibre area and am getting the full 1.1 Gbps up/down to the Hub. I have a 2.5 Gb network card and am using the 10 Gb port on the Hub 5x. However I believe the 10 Gb port is faulty as it returns very sporadic speed results, especially on the downstream. What I have done to isolate the issue:

• Restarted/reset the Hub 5x
  • Light is solid white
  • SamKnows RealSpeed confirms the Hub is receiving the full speed 
  • Tested different Ethernet cables with different devices on both the 10 Gb and 1 Gb ports
  • Manually configuring the speed and duplex on each device to ensure auto negotiation isn’t causing the problem

What I have found:

• The 1 Gb ports consistently return 940/940 on speed tests, on all devices and cables I’ve tested
  • The 10 Gb port has sporadic results from 300-800 Mbps on the downstream regardless of whether the device is 2.5 Gb or 1 Gb enabled

So, the 2.5 Gb device gets higher downstream results (and more consistent) using the 1 Gb port on the Hub, which is obviously not right. The 1 Gb devices get slower and inconsistent downstream speeds when switching from the 1 Gb to 10 Gb ports. 

Note the engineer also had issues activating the Hub when it was installed (it eventually came online the next day). 

I have also had an issue as my Virgin Media account and the app still say my services haven’t been installed yet (which they have for a few days now). 

I’m really hoping I can just get a replacement Hub as it’s clear something is up with the 10 Gb Ethernet port, and also this issue with my account resolved.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Daniel_Et
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @AmourViva 👋 Thank you for your post and welcome to the Virgin Media Community 😀

We're sorry to hear about the problem you're experiencing 😔

In order to look into this for you further, we'll send you a private message on here. Look out for the envelope in the top right-hand corner.

If you're on a portable device with a smaller screen, click on the icon in the top right-hand corner and select "messages" from the additional menu options.

Regards,
Daniel

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

Cardiffman282
Knows their stuff

Perhaps VM has now knackered the 5X after knackering the Hub 5 with dodgy firmware https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Tech-Chatter/Hub-5-Firmware-Upgrade/m-p/5480079

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

Daniel_Et
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @AmourViva 👋 Thank you for your post and welcome to the Virgin Media Community 😀

We're sorry to hear about the problem you're experiencing 😔

In order to look into this for you further, we'll send you a private message on here. Look out for the envelope in the top right-hand corner.

If you're on a portable device with a smaller screen, click on the icon in the top right-hand corner and select "messages" from the additional menu options.

Regards,
Daniel