cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two Routers (in Router Mode)

Crockers6
Joining in
Spoiler
I upgraded my Virgin line around 4 months ago and now I get it dropping (wifi) every 3-4mins.

I have two independent Internet connections (BT-Sky) and Virgin-Fibre. The sky does not drop (so eliminated my Mac and the MS-laptop)

I have had the Virgin router in Modem mode as I setup a Dovado router (it has a USB that transmits 433mhz to devices around the house and follows the day-light saving. I get it to run the DHCP (not using 198.x.x.x but another address) and have extended wifi aerials for a better signal... the down side it's 7yrs old! 

I have the wifi channel set different than the Sky one (one on channel 6 the other channel 11)

I want to try and keep the Dovado router and activate the Virgin one, so have in-effect 3 wifi signals the Dovado  say 192.x.x.x the sky running 192.1.x.x and the virgin 198.x.x.x the sky and the virgin have NO hard wired ethernet (other than the Dovado router on the modem port of the virgin at the moment) any configuration ideas to get both the virgin and dovado working together? so I can see if the line dropping is actually the dovado or virgin?

I have tried in the past setting up AP's but the house is not that big and no device seemed to switch between units as there was always signal (even if low).

So I want to put the virgin router in router mode, but feed a WAN-IP to the Dovado in a perfect world?

Any thoughts help?

Ta

Mark

4 REPLIES 4

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

get a new router.

setup BQM

Broadband Quality Monitor | thinkbroadband

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It does not matter what IP address the devices are on, it’s the WiFi SSID that matters. Why not have the same SSID on all networks, that’s essentially what I do with the four wireless access points I have. They are Ubiquiti ones and devices just hop from access point to access point when I change location.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Crockers6 👋

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

I am sorry to hear you are getting some connection issues with your service. 

I have checked our systems and can see there is an uptime issue as your hub hasn't been rebooted in 58 days.

Can you first try rebooting to see if this makes any difference?

Keep us posted.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

@Crockers6 wrote:
Spoiler
I upgraded my Virgin line around 4 months ago and now I get it dropping (wifi) every 3-4mins.

I have two independent Internet connections (BT-Sky) and Virgin-Fibre. The sky does not drop (so eliminated my Mac and the MS-laptop)

I have had the Virgin router in Modem mode as I setup a Dovado router (it has a USB that transmits 433mhz to devices around the house and follows the day-light saving. I get it to run the DHCP (not using 198.x.x.x but another address) and have extended wifi aerials for a better signal... the down side it's 7yrs old! 

I have the wifi channel set different than the Sky one (one on channel 6 the other channel 11)

I want to try and keep the Dovado router and activate the Virgin one, so have in-effect 3 wifi signals the Dovado  say 192.x.x.x the sky running 192.1.x.x and the virgin 198.x.x.x the sky and the virgin have NO hard wired ethernet (other than the Dovado router on the modem port of the virgin at the moment) any configuration ideas to get both the virgin and dovado working together? so I can see if the line dropping is actually the dovado or virgin?

I have tried in the past setting up AP's but the house is not that big and no device seemed to switch between units as there was always signal (even if low).

So I want to put the virgin router in router mode, but feed a WAN-IP to the Dovado in a perfect world?

Any thoughts help?

Ta

Mark

Why would you want to feed a WAN IP to the Dovado? To do this properly you'd have to use a different subnet for the secondary router to avoid IP address conflicts, and this can hardly be a good thing in the vast majority of residential premises. A Mesh system is good in many cases with the VM hub in modem node. An alternative is a LAN to LAN connection between hub and Dovado which would work well to expand your network on one subnet but I hesitate to recommmend it as hardly anyone understands it.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection