cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 VPN issues

ModTeam

Hi All,

We've identified an issue with the hub 5 where some customers are unable to use their VPN.

We think that the issue relates to an old VPN implementation that is used by a small number of organisations. We're working with a group of customers to try and help us fix this and we'll update this thread with with the next steps once we've finished our investigations. 

In the meantime, if you do have an alternative router then you may wish to use that if you do need VPN access. 

We've merged all the threads together here to keep it in one place, so the conversation may not flow as well as it did.

Thanks to @jazzishouse @Andymc07 @Mitchell537 for the help they've provided.

Update 13th Jan 22. We've implemented a fix that for users who use an older PPTP VPN connection. You'll need to reboot your Hub 5 in order to pick up the fix.

Update 19th Jan 22 - after rebooting the Hub 5, if you are still experiencing issues with connection, please post back on this thread with what VPN protocol and 3rd party platform you're using.

151 REPLIES 151

Is there any clarification on what the actual problem is?
"doesn't work with certain older types of VPN" isn't really helpful.

Is it missing support for NAT-Traversal?
Thanks

I am wondering if anyone can help . I added a vpn to my Tplink router . Internet was working perfectly until this evening when I tried to watch TV . I got no pictures or sound on any channels with message saying I was connected to wrong network. As soon as I disconnected the vpn from router everything worked again . Is there a fix for this please 

VPN can be blocked if you try to watch TV and the VPN is making you come out of another country not something VM do but service that would like you to use your real IP can block VPN IP's.

---------------------------------------------------------------

@BaldrickBravo wrote:

Is there any clarification on what the actual problem is?
"doesn't work with certain older types of VPN" isn't really helpful.

Is it missing support for NAT-Traversal?
Thanks

I'm not going to pretend to understand but this is the explanation provided by the team responsible for investigating it.

We have found PPTP VPN which uses GRE as the transport protocol fails regardless of VPN client/endpoint type, all over VPN types work

The PPTP session is established, but the GRE encrypted packets are not traversing the modem WAN interface.

Thanks,

TL:DR - we've pushed something out again without fully testing it

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

SunnySideUp1972
Tuning in

My Virgin 5 router is now an expensive modem and will stay that way!!

Changed it to a modem and hooked up my Netgear and miraculously my work and my partners VPN issues have completely vanished.

Thanks for the new router though I suppose.

Cheers

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@SunnySideUp1972 wrote:

My Virgin 5 router is now an expensive modem and will stay that way!!

Changed it to a modem and hooked up my Netgear and miraculously my work and my partners VPN issues have completely vanished.  <snip>

Anyone who wants a stress free life uses modem mode 😊

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Fannoir
On our wavelength

Had the same issue VPN WORKS ON HUB 3.

Upgrade to HUB 5 doesn't allow VPN access....call Virgin Media and they are ABSOLUTEY USELESS.

Plug back in the old router and don't drive yourself mad and save yourself tons of time and frustration!

Fannoir
On our wavelength

HUB 5 DOES  NOT WORK WITH VPN .

HOW CAN YOU SEND OUT NEW ROUTERS WHICH DONT ALLOW VPN TRAFFIC AND NOT ADEQUATELY TRAIN YOUR STAFF TO DEAL WITH THE QUERY !!

Having the exact the same problems. Wife uses VPN for work, all fine on Hub 3. Now have a Hub 5 and it doesn't work.

Clearly an issue with the hub 5 but VM teams aren't being helpful or doing anything to resolve