cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 - solid red light

miketu2012
Tuning in

My hub 3 is displaying a solid red light. I have reset the hub by turning it on and off and also by using the pinhole on the back. My service and speed are unaffected and the hub doesn’t feel unusually hot. Similar threads suggest my hub needs to be replaced. I don’t seem to be able to talk to VM by phone so does anyone have any advice?

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A faulty overheat warning LED on the Hub is a risk.  VM should replace the Hub.  If you wait here a day or two a VM Mod will pick this up.

In the meantime, just keep checking the Hub is not actually overheating.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A faulty overheat warning LED on the Hub is a risk.  VM should replace the Hub.  If you wait here a day or two a VM Mod will pick this up.

In the meantime, just keep checking the Hub is not actually overheating.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Thread escalated to the Forum Team, as this is a potential safety issue & the thread has been flagged as answered by the OP.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @miketu2012 thanks for your post here in the Community, although I'm sorry to hear of your concerns raised with your Hub 3.

As you've done a reboot and the pinhole reset and this still hasn't worked, please allow me to send you a PM so I can look into things further for you.

Kindly expect the PM from me to arrive shortly, and respond directly when you can!
Many thanks

Tom_W

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there miketu2012,

Tom is currently out of office so I've assigned this to myself to pick up.

I can see that the thread has been placed as solved, do you still require assistance?

Let us know,

Kain

Hi Kain. I did send a reply to Tom's PM that he sent me. The solid red light on my modem changed back to solid white,, some hours later, on the same day and has remained white since. I may have inadvertently marked the thread as solved when someone replied to my post. My reply to Tom was that this was the second time in the last few weeks that I have had the solid red light on the modem. The first time the light went back to white immediately on a reset, This latest red light took hours to change and 3 resets made no difference. If this is a safety issue, I am obviously concerned. Kind regards Mike.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey miketu2012, thanks for your posts and replies here on our help forums.

We're sorry to see this has happened many times and you're worried about safety.
How do things look since you last posted on Friday and has the red light come back on at all since then?

Also, have you noticed any signs of impact to the broadband service or the hub overheating?
Let us know more and we're eager to help.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Adri, the modem light has remained white, whenever I have checked it. I have not had any impact on my internet speed, even when the light was red, everything seemed normal. I have just checked the modem temperature and although it didn't seem that hot when the light was red, it is noticeably cooler now the light is white. I look forward to hearing back from you. 

Mike

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @miketu2012,

Thanks for the update on this. I've had a look on our side, and can't see any problems on the Hub anymore, everything is within specification. The white light staying white does indicate that the Hub is no longer experiencing any issues.

Please do let us know if this changes, and we'll do our best to assist further.

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Hi Reece,

Thanks for the information. I'll keep an eye on my hub.

MIke