cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3. WiFi keeps auto re-enabling every 10 mins

cd67232382
On our wavelength

I have a TP-Link Deco mesh WiFi system at home so I have disabled the WiFi on my Hub3, however recently I noticed I kept getting performance issues on my mesh network.  

I logged back into my hub3 to find the WiFi had been switched back on, which I assumed must have happened since the email that came out saying Virgin had improved WiFi.  I disabled the WiFi again and went about my business, only to find sometime later I was getting issues.   I logged back into the Hub3 and WiFi was back on. 

As a test I disabled WiFi but left the page open in my browser and periodically refreshed the page, and it seems it takes about 10 minutes before it ends up enabled again. 

Does anyone have any ideas or has seen this before?    I can't say when it started but I'm pretty sure this has only started up since I got the email about the router update for improved WiFi

110 REPLIES 110

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

In modem mode you can only come from one source MAC by one WAN IP you would need the do a type of NAT for traffic coming from the MAC a simple unmanaged switch will not work most just get a home router but you can go more advanced if you want.

---------------------------------------------------------------

AndyInMancheste
Dialled in

Is this still the case?

I do not use Wifi, therefore I do not want it turned on.  As mentioned elsewhere, I don't care who thinks I shouldn't care that it's turned on - I don't want it on.

I have a new Hub 3.0, still in the box, and after all the trouble I've been put through in the last few days, I'm ready to send it back and kick Virgin Media to the curb, if i can't disable Wifi and KEEP it disabled.

I currently use all ethernet ports of my SuperHub 2, so being reduced to modem mode is not acceptable.

So get your own router

So, in your inestimable opinion, Alessandro, I should spend more money just to get back to where I am now.

Did you have anything relevant to the actual question, that you could add?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

VM should never of added Wifi to the hub they should of made it a add on thing but VM think everyone wants there wifi.

YOU are the less then 1% who want to use router mode without wifi vs more people who will use modem mode 

hound1010
On our wavelength

I wouldn't agree with that modem vs router estimation.  Many people just want to plug in one device and be done with it.  They don't want to spend money unnecessarily, nor do they want to run multiple devices when they need not.

As we have seen the wifi on/off is nothing more than a software setting - however the decision to keep re-enabling it is a policy decision from someone in their ivory towers at VM - or a fault I suppose that they're just not all that interested in fixing.  I can't help feel it's deliberate ... to perhaps default everyone into providiing VM hotspots.

Anyway this issue could very easily be resolved with a software change, which makes it all the more irritating for us as end users.  All of that said, I'm not holding my breath for VM to step-up and resolve this.

stuu3270
Tuning in

I have been suffering the same issue. I also have a TP Link Deco M5 mesh in place with the Hub still  in router mode (to make use of all ports AND I also have a switch.

Question... in modem mode, what is the approved setup?

Hub - Deco M5 - network switch

OR

Hub - Network Switch - Deco M5 and other hardware.

Thanks all,

Stu

@stuu3270 wrote:

I have been suffering the same issue. I also have a TP Link Deco M5 mesh in place with the Hub still  in router mode (to make use of all ports AND I also have a switch.

Question... in modem mode, what is the approved setup?

Hub - Deco M5 - network switch

OR

Hub - Network Switch - Deco M5 and other hardware.

Thanks all,

Stu

It has to be 'Hub - Deco M5 - network switch' since one of the switch ports will consume the internet connection the other way round.

In modem mode only one device connected directly to the HUB will be provided an internet connection, in this case it must be the M5. 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Given its a mesh with WAN/LAN auto-sensing how it works and problem it will have even if you have Hub - Deco M5 - network switch Its hard to tell if the Deco M5 acks as a switch unless I get one for testing. Its why I only suggest a router unless you have a managed with ACL rule to not have client MAC not go out to the bridge ports of the Deco M5 so that only the MAC of the Deco M5 can DHCP for the WAN.

Best to connect the Deco M5 to the hub and let it get the WAN IP then add the switch to the Deco M5.

Thanks Carl