cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin demanding 40% increase to my bill or £115 charge to cancel early!!

TheGrovesy
Joining in

After receiving the Virgin price increase email in February I phoned them up, as I do every year, to get a better deal, which I did. Just 2 months later I get a bill which is just a fraction under 40% higher than the deal I had just agreed, and as clearly stated in the new contract. After a whole morning of discussion, being moved to different departments they are adamant they cant change this new bill. I therefore asked them to cancel my contract at which point they told me it would be £115 cancellation fee to end my contract early 🤣 ... good luck with that Virgin, direct debit now cancelled! 

What a joke

3 REPLIES 3

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @TheGrovesy 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you here. 

We are so sorry to hear that you have experienced this issue since negotiating a new deal with us and thank you again for taking the time to post. 

We fully understand the frustrations this has caused but we would not recommend cancelling a direct debit as this can incur penalties. 

I'd be happy to take a look into this with you to see what we can arrange via a Private Message. I will pop you a PM across now, please keep an eye out for the envelope at the top of your screen alerting you to a new message.

TheGrovesy
Joining in

I love how Virgin have made this reply to make it look like they will help out when in fact all they have done is privately messaged me exactly what I have stated above and say that I am somehow wrong for thinking a 40% cost rise is acceptable and allowed. Again not even making a suggestion/compromise. All they have said is that the calculated 40% increase is correct and if I want to cancel I have to give 90 day notice. What a joke. 

I really wouldn't cancel your DD unless you like the prospect of legal aggro with debt collectors. Rightly or wrongly, VM are extremely good in their process with debt collection. You are far better off trying to resolve with the staff on the forum first and other complaint process and external bodies then get compensation.....You are in for a world of immense pain if VM go to debt collectors even if they are in the wrong. It becomes issue after issue....