cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin are making it impossible to cancel!

Julia333
Tuning in

Due to obscene price increases, I've been desperately trying to cancel my account via your phone lines. Despite endless hours lost yesterday and today being passed from pillar to post and having to listen to VM's horrendous background 'music' - all in vain, I give up and hereby inform you that I am giving you my 30-day notice to leave.
Please kindly acknowledge both here and in email that you have seen my message and accept my cancellation.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Julia333

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community.

I am sorry you have been unable to discuss this over the phone.

I will send you a private message now so we can take a further look for you.

Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of the page and pop back to me when you can.

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

62 REPLIES 62

cje85
Trouble shooter

You can't give notice via the forum. 

If you can't get through on the phone you can send your notice in writing to:

Virgin Media, Sunderland, SR43 4AA

Ofcom are currently investigating VM due to the difficulties customers are having with cancelling so you may like to let Ofcom know about your experience. They won't intervene in any way but it may help their investigation.

https://ofcomlive.my.salesforce-sites.com/formentry/SitesFormCCTMonitoring

Okay, many thanks. It seems ludicrous that VM doesn't offer an email option for cancellations when phone options aren't working, but there we are - another reason to leave Virgin - extremely poor customer service. Thank you at least for your assistance. 🙂 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

When you write in to give your 30 days notice, use a first class, signed-for delivery service.

This will give you a date and time of delivery which will help to minimise any VM 'confusion' in processing your cancellation instructions.

Thank you goslow for that advice you also gave to me. I sent it recorded and signed for, and I just discovered it was delivered very early next morning, less than 12 hours later. As it is, seems to be turning out, £6.85 well spent. 

PS £6.85 included before 1pm delivery charge, First class would have been cheaper, but I am trying hard to avoid stress and hassle, which seems not so easy with VM if you want to leave, so opted for speed.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Yozzer wrote:

Thank you goslow for that advice you also gave to me. I sent it recorded and signed for, and I just discovered it was delivered very early next morning, less than 12 hours later. As it is, seems to be turning out, £6.85 well spent. 

PS £6.85 included before 1pm delivery charge, First class would have been cheaper, but I am trying hard to avoid stress and hassle, which seems not so easy with VM if you want to leave, so opted for speed.

Keep a record of the tracking number and a screenshot etc. of the signed-for confirmation.

Posting the instruction to cancel does seem to be one of the more reliable cancellation methods as reported by customers on here. No guarantees VM can't/won't mess it up of course but, if that happens, you have the proof of delivery so there is less chance of VM delaying the process in some way.

I think it is also used to be the case that if you have proof of posting for first class mail then the document is considered to be 'served' on the recipient two working days after you posted it (would have to double check that though).

It also means you can issue the instruction by post without having to hang on the phone/chat/text for hours on end so mailing the cancellation does have some advantages if you just want to leave VM with no further interaction, discussion or time-wasting.

Hopefully yours goes through without further issue.

You can share your cancellation experience with OFCOM.

They launched an investigation into VM on 13 July 2023 specifically into VM's cancellation and complaints processes.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/bulletins/enforcement-bulletin/open-cases/cw_01275

Case ref. no. and an email at the bottom of the above page or submit with same info via the contact form

https://ofcomforms.secure.force.com/formentry/SitesFormCCTMonitoring

Submitting information won't help your individual complaint but it will contribute to the OFCOM investigation and it sounds like your experience is directly relevant to the terms of reference of the investigation.

Hi Julia333

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community.

I am sorry you have been unable to discuss this over the phone.

I will send you a private message now so we can take a further look for you.

Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of the page and pop back to me when you can.

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

ngood77
Tuning in

WhatsApp them on +44 7305 327112

Many thanks. Appreciated. 🙂 

Many thanks, Vikki. I've responded.