cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First payment for new customers

Mcrandom23
Joining in

Hi

I have just signed up with the service for broadband due to be activated on 1st July. I received an email saying that I will be charged a double payment.

While I understand that part of this is for a month in advance, what does not make sense is that I am effectively being charged for two months.

Given the bill date is approx half way through the month should it not be one plus a half payment as opposed to charging double?

Please can this be explained.  I am signed up to an 18 month contract so need to know that when I end or renegotiate the deal I will only have paid 18 times the amount I signed up for.

Many thanks

Mark

4 REPLIES 4

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can you post up a copy of this email, with all personal details redacted?

In the meantime - https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-first-bill may assist

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Mcrandom23, thanks for reaching out to us and a warm welcome to the Virgin Media Community forums. 👋🏼

Yes you are correct in saying that the first bill does bill twice, this is because the billing period is also covered for 2 months, and also any pro rata charges that are incurred throughout the first period.
This double bill, the return of it is usually seen in the final bill, let's say on the 18th month you don't wish to renew, and wish to cancel, either your final payment will be covered with the credit of this on the account and won't have to make the final payment or you will have the money returned via BACS transfer or via a cheque.

I hope I have assisted.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi many thanks. So, basically you are saying that if I cancel at contract end I will be refunded the overpayment? 

I must say, these tactics by Virgin are not good. How much money does virgin make by overcharging customers in this way. Is ofcom in agreement that this is fair practice for customers?

It should be prorated plus one, not a double payment.....there is no sense or logic to this, other than for VM to make money.

Thanks for the reply @Mcrandom23 on the forums. 👋🏼

We don't overcharge as the credit still belongs to the customer via their Virgin Media account.
OFCOM is aware of the way we bill as this is seen through other telecommunication providers as well.

The way the 1st bill for all customers is a double bill with any pro rata charges on there too.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs