cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect to login to email account via third party OR webmail

linzena
Tuning in

Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering whether anyone else is experiencing similar issues or is able to help?

One of my email accounts is no longer connecting via Outlook via my phone and asking me to log back in but, when I try to do so, it says the password is incorrect (which it isn't) and it still works, with the password in question, on other devices; my other email address still works fine on all devices. When I log into webmail, the email address which doesn't work on Outlook doesn't show any subfolders and has an exclamation mark next to it. When I click on the exclamation mark, it states, "The entered credential or authentication information does not work or are no longer acceptable to provider. Please change them." Ignoring for a moment the provider is literally VM, when I try and change the password, I get a Warning: Failed decrypting the password for accessing server imap.virginmedia.com with login [my email address].

I've seen some similar issues relating to VM changing the password requirements for third party apps, such as Outlook, however it is still working in Outlook on other devices / VM email addresses. Also, I've not been contacted or notified about any changes to security / password standards (I have checked my email on the devices I am still able to access the account on!).

Has anyone had the same/similar issues?

Thanks in advance 😀

6 REPLIES 6

DeeGee7
On our wavelength

I have been having e-mail problems for the last 5 days and still are having them.  Phoning the help line has left me more confused than ever...

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey linzena,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post. I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your email account, is your online account username different to the email address that isn't working? If so, have you tried to login to your email account via the My Virgin Media login screen, using the email account as the username and your email password? 

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

Hi Steven_L

Thank you for responding. I hadn't but am just getting the standard, 'Your email or password was incorrect' message.

Lindsay

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for coming back to us on this, linzena. For clarity, are you able to sign in to your Virgin Media Mailbox when attempting to sign in through WebMail, here

If you're able to sign in, you may need to set an App Password to continue using the email. You can do this by signing in to My Virgin Media and then:

a. Go to Account settings, then Account details
b. Tap Manage next to Manage your Virgin Media Mail app password under Virgin Media Mail
c. Then, under Virgin Media Mail app password tap Generate new App password and follow the instructions

Let us know how you get on 🙂

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Hi Reece,

No - I'm not able to sign in from that prompt. I can sign into my other email account there which is where I can see this account in the left-hand column with an exclamation mark next to it.

Thanks

Lindsay

Thank you @linzena I'm going to pop you a private message so we can take a closer look into this. Please keep an eye out for the envelope at the top of your screen alerting you to a new message.