cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP Outlook / Windows Live / Windows 7 / SSL Problems - WORKAROUND

techweb
On our wavelength

Thanks to Snoopdog for finding this but it seems that if you just use SMTP port 25 with no encryption (no TLS or SSL) then finally we can send e-mail again.

Previously SMTP without SSL on port 25 was unsupported. However, now it is! How strange. That is concerning to some degree as nothing including credentials is encrypted but it's a workaround.

6 REPLIES 6

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@techweb  I have had a play around with this suggested (insecure) workaround and whilst it seems to work with the older blueyonder.co.uk IMAP and SMTP server addresses is does not work with the virginmedia.com IMAP and SMTP server addresses.  It may work with the old ntlworld sever addresses as well but I don't have an ntlworld email address to try it with.

So whilst it may be a workaround for users of some legacy email addresses it is no good for anyone using a virginmedia.com email address with one of the older email clients affected by this SSL issue.

The Community Moderators referred this issue to the relevant teams on Tuesday following a referral by the VIPs.  We are still waiting to hear whether this is a permanent change due to pulling access using the older SSL versions or if it is caused by a fault.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

techweb
On our wavelength

That's interesting... I would have thought that ultimately the all the server addresses / DNS names point to the same host rather than hosting separate mail servers. I wonder if you could use smtp.ntlworld.com to send an e-mail from a virgnmedia.com e-mail address?

I am not happy with my workaround long term as it is insecure. I see no sense in them pulling access to older SSL versions, many other providers still support TLS 1.2 for example. At the very least some notice would have been nice.

Please keep us posted.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@techweb As I understand it they do all point to the same servers but when using blueyonder/ntlworld they use the IP address to check that you are connecting from a VM broadband account whereas when using virginmedia.com  they require authentication via username and password.

The blueyonder/nltworld server names do not work with virginmedia.com email addresses. (I have tried!)

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

techweb
On our wavelength

OK. Thanks and noted. However, you still require a username and password for the ntlworld.com one.

Didn't work for me unfortunately.

superwavesynths
On our wavelength

I’ve messed around with this for ages, following tutorials online on how to enable TLS 2.0 on Windows 7 but none of it seems to work for me.

All works fine on my Win10 and Win11 machines but I can’t enable SSL/TLS on Win7, it just fails to communicate. Works fine with SSL/TLS off thought as a non-secure connection.

Looks to me that TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 has been disabled on the VM servers.