cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook e-mail error (0x800CCC1A) :

MikeBernard
Joining in

Was working fine until yesterday but now getting the following error message when I try to send an email from Outlook using my virginmedia.com account 
Task 'Bernard - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC1A) : 'Your server does not support the connection encryption type you have specified. Try changing the encryption method. Contact your mail server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP) for additional assistance.'

45 REPLIES 45

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@knighthawk wrote:

Managed to get it working, but only as IMAP, steps below.

1) IISCrypto and enabled all protocols.

2) Removed my previous pop3 and smtp account from outlook 2010.

3) Added a new account and let Outlook discover the settings.

At first it errored, saying it could not connect using encrypted connection, and asked to try an un-encrypted connection, of which I said yes and it setup the IMAP and I now can send and receive email.

Not Ideal but at least it is working.

I added a rule to the IMAP Account and this now moves anything inbound to my Outlook folders.

No one should be using unencrypted connections to their email servers in this day and age.  VM do still allow them (for reasons I disagree with intensely). However the fact is that if you are using unencrypted connections then your password is visible to anyone who can view the traffic between you and the email server.

While it may seem a valid workaround, it puts your security at risk.  VM appear to have fixed whatever was breaking encrypted connections so you should go back to using the encrypted settings.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Robbijay You do need to set up an app password to use 3rd party clients such as Outlook etc.

Settings for all email programs is as follows

POP3

Server: pop3.virginmedia.com
Port: 995
Encryption type: SSL/TLS (SSL on older Outlook Clients)

IMAP (I would use this over POP3)
Server: imap.virginmedia.com
Port:993
Encryption type: SSL/TLS (SSL on older versions of Outlook)

In both cases username and password are as follows

Username: the users full email address - e.g Joe.bloggs@virginmedia.com
Password - App password that is set up on my.virginmedia.com

SMTP
Server: smtp.virginmedia.com
Port: 465
Encryption type: SSL/TLS (SSL on older versions of Outlook)

Authentication
My Server requires Authentication
Use same settings as incoming server

Note - Although older versions of Outlook have both SSL and TLS tick boxes, these are not what people think they are:
SSL =  SSL/TLS
TLS = StartTLS

If you are using one of these clients (and you really shouldn't be in 2024)  only use the SSL option.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you, I have setup the connection that I have had and it is now working fine.

Mike

Glad to hear the advice has helped on here nighthawk. 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Yeah I'd already set up the app password etc and had it working on a different,newer, system fine (i'm an IT admin so familiar with it but the first time i've had to use it).

There seemed to be two different issues - his system said the encryption method wasn't supported and setting him up on mine said the credentials were wrong. Setting up the app password got it working on my computer but his was still moaning about encryption.

We'd just resigned ourselves to buying my dad newer kit, when the out look password box popped up up (about 4 days after giving up) and i banged it in and it worked on his old stuff

Hey Robbyijay, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear this.

Just to confirm are you still having some issues with the above?

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?