cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I delete my @ntlworld email account?

karenHebbs
Tuning in

Hello I have an old ntl email account that appears to have been hacked and the hacher is using it. How do I go about getting it deleted? I tried to log back into it but they have changed my password. Ive seen from another thread you were able to look into this for someone else and was able to help. Many thanks

18 REPLIES 18

deepbeep
On our wavelength

That's an absolutely appalling response to an urgent data security situation.

I expect you had to provide a load of personal sensitive information via private message in this forum as well, how secure is that information?  How long is it retained on the forum servers at risk of being hacked? Is there an effective security and deletion policy?

Virgin just appear to be reckless with personal data as far as I can see.

I had exactly the same issue as you, lots of people seem to be having this issue.  

I emailed dpo@virginmedia.co.uk with a heading highlighting an urgent GDPR issue,  told them that my account was hacked and then emailed a day later when I hadn't had a response confirming I would sue them for any costs incurred as a result of the breach.  After the second email they deactivated the account within hours.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi, deepbeep.
Thanks for taking the time to make a post and share your concerns with the community, although we're sorry to see how you feel about our security and relevant policies in place.

We'd love to best advise more on this matter, please follow our link here where we offer advice on how to gain access back to a hacked email and the best course of action in this case to keep your personal data and info secure.

Email accounts can be hacked in various ways, you can have a read here for more on this and how to report an incident.
We can also confirm we do have relevant security measures in place too so to keep your accounts with us secure, such as the web-safe option being set to on as a default when you join us as well as monitoring for suspicious activity detections (mailbox activity/spam etc).

About how we handle your data in general, please view this page.
We're glad to hear your issues raised with our DPO team via email have been resolved previously, if there's more you need help with regarding this let us know so we can look into it.

Also, please kindly note that our help forums are not offering instant responses and messaging however our staff always respond to all users as soon as we're available although this may take a few hours or 2-3 days max on a busy day.

We hope this helps with your above concerns, we're happy to assist with anything more you may need as well.
Best regards,

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Adri, to bring this back to my issue, in my case I'm waiting for the account to be deleted which your team members raised with IT 2 weeks ago and escalated

Those information links do not work for me as its and old NTL world email that was hacked. So I can't access or reset it. Please ensure the IT ticket raised for deletion is actioned as it has been over 2 weeks now and dont wish your response to distract from that.

Many similar requests for old NTl email deletion have been deleted via this forum previously, so not sure why mine is taking so long. Many thanks

Hi @karenHebbs thanks for your reply.

I do appreciate this is frustrating so please accept my apologies for this. We know that you've spoken to our colleague Vikki about this over the weekend and we must reiterate that this is still being worked on, we're hoping to resolve ASAP and apologies for the delay once again.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Hi, it's been 3 weeks now and still no confirmation regarding deletion. I've tried to chase via PM but no response. Can you please get this deleted by IT today.

Many thanks

Hi there @karenHebbs 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back to the community forums.

I am so sorry that you are still awaiting the email deletion, I can see that you have spoken with our team via a PM, please do pop back to the team here and they will continue to investigate this for you. 

Thank you again. 

Hello, thanks for responding 

I have already spoken with the team again via pm/dm and hv been told the ticket is 'still open', 'still being worked' on a few occasions now via different members over the last 3 weeks. They have escalated it various times but nothing seems to happen each time it is escalated.

I really need this deleted as a matter of urgency. I can see previous forum members with the same issue have had success  with deletion via your team, this way within a week. So not sure why this still hasnt been resolved.

Many thanks

I can see my colleague has sent you a PM about this, please do reach out to my colleague if you need anymore help on this.

Sometimes with these emails they can take a little longer to resolve. Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Thanks for speaking with us today @karenHebbs on the VM forums. 👋🏼

I'm glad we have been able to assist with your query.
As advised -let us know if you need anything else and we'll support where we can.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs