cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails via Outlook

TrevorSawbo
Tuning in

Still having issues with email. Outlook says the Virgin server won't accept my profile and thus won't connect, even in safe mode. Have tried various alternatives with no luck. Is my profile corrupted by the recent Virgin server problem? And how do I find out what my password is, the one that the Virgin server will recognise? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@TrevorSawbo wrote:

Outlook says the Virgin server won't accept my profile and thus won't connect,

That's a rather strange error because Outlook only uses your profile to remember  where the data for each of you email accounts is stored within its own database.

Outlook does not send the profile to Virgin Media so I don't see why Outlook would say that VM won't accept your profile. VM don't need to see it, they just need your email account and password, along with the server details.

Having said that Outlook profiles do have a habit of getting corrupted for all sorts of reasons, Microsoft updates being one along with Outlook add-ins and the influence of anti-virus software.

If it really is an Outlook  profile issue, here's MS' advice on how to repair  it : https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/office/fix-your-outlook-email-connection-by-repairing-your-profi... 

However, to be honest, I suspect that like lots of other people on here what you are finding is that your VM settings in Outlook now need updating to reflect a change that VM introduced a few weeks ago.

Now when you reset a VM email password you have to generate an "app specific" password to use instead or your webmail password when accessing that email account via any third party email apps or clients such as Outlook.

I suspect that the recent VM email debacle has now triggered the need for you to generate an app specific password to use in Outlook instead of the usual password you use to access your VM webmail account.

However, in all honestly that's nothing to do with Outlook profile but I would still try switching to using the "Mail app" password in Outlook to see if it cures the problem.

To do that sign in from this link https://my.virginmedia.com/ using the VM email address and the existing password you have been using up to now. That will take you to the relevant "My Virgin Media" account for that email account.

Then click on the "Account settings" tab and then  the "Account details" tab.

Then scroll down the "Accounts details" page to "Mailbox app password management." and click on "Manage".
You can then generate a mail app password which will be in the format: video-post-mossy-sharp
You will then need to enter that new app password (including the "-") into the password field of your email account in Outlook's settings.

You can still use the original password to access the email account via VM's Webmail service.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @TrevorSawbo thanks for your post here in the Community, although we're sorry to hear of the concerns you've raised here.

We apologise again to those individuals who have been experiencing issues with their email services since Monday. Our teams are continuing to work on restoring all users’ access as a priority and we will do this as soon as possible.

Many thanks

Tom_W

TrevorSawbo
Tuning in

Although I have a text message from VM saying the network issue was fixed around noon yesterday, I am still unable to load Outlook because of conflicts with the VM server. Help please!! Thanks. 

Hi @TrevorSawbo 

Sorry to hear you are still having issues with your my email account. We can understand the inconvenience caused and want to best help. Just to confirm, are you unable to access your account at all? If so, what error message do you get? Does this occur on different platforms? 

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@TrevorSawbo wrote:

Outlook says the Virgin server won't accept my profile and thus won't connect,

That's a rather strange error because Outlook only uses your profile to remember  where the data for each of you email accounts is stored within its own database.

Outlook does not send the profile to Virgin Media so I don't see why Outlook would say that VM won't accept your profile. VM don't need to see it, they just need your email account and password, along with the server details.

Having said that Outlook profiles do have a habit of getting corrupted for all sorts of reasons, Microsoft updates being one along with Outlook add-ins and the influence of anti-virus software.

If it really is an Outlook  profile issue, here's MS' advice on how to repair  it : https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/office/fix-your-outlook-email-connection-by-repairing-your-profi... 

However, to be honest, I suspect that like lots of other people on here what you are finding is that your VM settings in Outlook now need updating to reflect a change that VM introduced a few weeks ago.

Now when you reset a VM email password you have to generate an "app specific" password to use instead or your webmail password when accessing that email account via any third party email apps or clients such as Outlook.

I suspect that the recent VM email debacle has now triggered the need for you to generate an app specific password to use in Outlook instead of the usual password you use to access your VM webmail account.

However, in all honestly that's nothing to do with Outlook profile but I would still try switching to using the "Mail app" password in Outlook to see if it cures the problem.

To do that sign in from this link https://my.virginmedia.com/ using the VM email address and the existing password you have been using up to now. That will take you to the relevant "My Virgin Media" account for that email account.

Then click on the "Account settings" tab and then  the "Account details" tab.

Then scroll down the "Accounts details" page to "Mailbox app password management." and click on "Manage".
You can then generate a mail app password which will be in the format: video-post-mossy-sharp
You will then need to enter that new app password (including the "-") into the password field of your email account in Outlook's settings.

You can still use the original password to access the email account via VM's Webmail service.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

TrevorSawbo
Tuning in

Thanks Coenoby, and also to Spodgie. It was the VM settings in Outlook that needed resetting. I've done this, and some minor fiddling and on rebooting, everything seems to be okay now. Thanks for all the help.