cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email account can no longer use my email address as my user name

Concerned_user
On our wavelength

Hi there,
VM recently forced me to use another email address as my username when logging into my email account, I am a customer for over 25 years, why cant I use my email address as my username?

2 REPLIES 2

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Concerned_user It is part aof a number of security improvements being made by Virgin Media.  You can read about it here: https://www.virginmedia.com/dpb/help/change-my-virgin-media-email-address

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the response, i do however feel the change is unnessacarry, covering the change under the heading security improvement doesn't give any insights as to why, many email services do not adopt this practice, additionally as my password is over 50 characters long, I don't see anyone gaining access.

I think my question still holds merit, why this change, its just another unnecessary hoop to jump through..

As an end user, what's the benifit?

Not everyone has another email address to use, which leans to VM encouraging users not to use this as primary email service, this feels more like service shedding step 1.

PS, Remember the service was offloaded to Google a while back  then returned to VM