cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kei_M
Community Manager
Community Manager

We're pleased to share the news following our announcement where we'll be waiving early disconnection fees for off-net home movers 👇.

From today, Virgin Media O2 is changing its UK home mover’s policy so that customers moving to a home not connected to its broadband network will be able to leave without paying an early disconnection fee.

Virgin Media O2 delivers ultrafast broadband services to its customers using its own infrastructure which covers around 53% of the country. This footprint has been expanded to reach an additional 2.6 million premises in recent years, with further expansion continuing to take place across the UK.

Until now, customers moving to a property not connected to the provider’s network have been asked to pay an early disconnection fee to end their contract early, but the operator will now waive the charge for customers who are unable to take their services with them.

Customers will need to provide proof of their new address with a wide range of readily-available documents accepted including mortgage and rental agreements, utility bills, bank statements and driving licenses.

The move, expected to save customers up to £240, will be welcomed at a time when the cost of moving has hit a record high. Recent analysis from Which? found the average cost of moving home to be nearly £12,000 – up from £7,000 during the stamp duty holiday*.

Jeff Dodds, Chief Operating Officer at Virgin Media O2, said:

“We’re committed to putting customers at the heart of what we do and regularly review our policies and processes to give our customers the best service at the best possible price. We know moving home can be a stressful time, so we’re giving our customers one less thing to worry about.

“We’re also continuing to invest heavily in the UK to expand our footprint, meaning more of our customers will be able to take their services with them when they move home, enjoying speeds that are four times faster than national average.”

*Cost of moving house hits record high – Which? News

6 Comments
dmason197
Fibre optic

That is really good news 👏 🙌 👍 

DMSMITH85
Tuning in

Can I clarify this?

The terms and conditions of the contract I just signed still state the there I "may" be liable for early disconnection fees and the moving home section of the website also refers to "additional fees". 

Call centre staff are also unsure. 

If my reading of this is right there may be a charge for disconnection but that would be refunded once proof of new address (outside of VM service area) is provided. Is that right?

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, that's this bit - "Customers will need to provide proof of their new address with a wide range of readily-available documents accepted including mortgage and rental agreements, utility bills, bank statements and driving licenses."

My understanding is that if you don't provide the proof then you'd still be charged the fees.

LividMare
Joining in

Please educate your customer service teams of this because they are misinforming their customers.

holmestm
On our wavelength

I've just renewed for another 18 months having cancelled because of duff information I received from customer services. Really do need to get the word out internally, especially the off shore sales team.

laf
Tuning in

"a wide range of readily-available documents accepted including mortgage and rental agreements, utility bills, bank statements and driving licenses" - I won't have any of these as we're moving in with family before our move overseas where we don't have a base as yet, so no bills available. I was told proof of home sale and our move overseas was what was required in our circumstances.