cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Output Settings

anap
Up to speed

Please could someone tell me if the Video Output Settings have been corrected in the V6. i.e. Do they now work like they are described in the info screen or are they like the TiVo but with extra 2160 settings?

659 REPLIES 659

@Rodd1000 wrote:

@deans6571 wrote:

@Rodd1000 wrote:

Been reading through this thread, confusing to say the least. I don’t use the V6 for Netflix or any other apps as i have those native on my TV. That being said, do I just have the 1080i checked or should I check 576i as well? I was told elsewhere to check everything under 1080p? 

I don’t use the box for any uhd content, although i have a 4k QLED but only watch the SD and HD channels, Sky Cinema HD and SD Sky News etc. 

...my understanding is, that it depends if you want the TV to upscale 1080 content to 2160, in which case, you would have the V6 set to 1080, or if you want the V6 to upscale, set the V6 to 2160.  I don't see the benefit ini also checking 576i as well though?

Perhaps a Superuser can clarify.....

I asked about 576i as I was foolishly thinking the V6 was smart enough (DOH!) to recognise the resolution of the currently selected channel. If this was the case, then when SD channels are selected, the box then defaults to 576i and vice versa with 1080i etc. Ideally allowing the TV to handle all upscaling duties. I think this is how it should work, but it seems not. 

Smiley Very Happy

...unfortunately not!!! The V6 sticks to whatever resolution you select in the settings no matter what content you watch!

@deans6571 wrote:

@Rodd1000 wrote:

@deans6571 wrote:

@Rodd1000 wrote:

Been reading through this thread, confusing to say the least. I don’t use the V6 for Netflix or any other apps as i have those native on my TV. That being said, do I just have the 1080i checked or should I check 576i as well? I was told elsewhere to check everything under 1080p? 

I don’t use the box for any uhd content, although i have a 4k QLED but only watch the SD and HD channels, Sky Cinema HD and SD Sky News etc. 

...my understanding is, that it depends if you want the TV to upscale 1080 content to 2160, in which case, you would have the V6 set to 1080, or if you want the V6 to upscale, set the V6 to 2160.  I don't see the benefit ini also checking 576i as well though?

Perhaps a Superuser can clarify.....

I asked about 576i as I was foolishly thinking the V6 was smart enough (DOH!) to recognise the resolution of the currently selected channel. If this was the case, then when SD channels are selected, the box then defaults to 576i and vice versa with 1080i etc. Ideally allowing the TV to handle all upscaling duties. I think this is how it should work, but it seems not. 

Smiley Very Happy

...unfortunately not!!! The V6 sticks to whatever resolution you select in the settings no matter what content you watch!

1080i it is then, although how does the box behave if you select more than one option, such as 1080i and everything below? By the sound of it the damn thing could just blow a fuse.

It's super annoying now that there are some 4K broadcast channels airing on the VM platform. 

If say I'm viewing a football match on Sky Sports in 1080i and then switch over to another game on BT Sport UHD in 2160 I've got to manually go in to settings and change the video output from 1080i to 2160!

@H4wks wrote:

It's super annoying now that there are some 4K broadcast channels airing on the VM platform. 

If say I'm viewing a football match on Sky Sports in 1080i and then switch over to another game on BT Sport UHD in 2160 I've got to manually go in to settings and change the video output from 1080i to 2160!

...to be quite honest - unless your TV is larger than 55" or even 60" and you're sitting within the correct distance, you are unlikely to notice the differences between watching HD and UHD/4k, so fiddling about with the settings won't matter. 

Just set them to whichever you prefer and forget about it.

I'm just watching everything at 2160 but the way the V6 performs the upscaling is less than optimal. 

@deans6571 wrote:

@H4wks wrote:

...to be quite honest - unless your TV is larger than 55" or even 60" and you're sitting within the correct distance, you are unlikely to notice the differences between watching HD and UHD/4k, so fiddling about with the settings won't matter. 

Just set them to whichever you prefer and forget about it.

Simply not true. Can easily tell the difference on a 49" screen.

I would tend to agree, I think games on BTSport UHD look quite a bit better than the standard BT Sport HD channels. 

@H4wks wrote:

I would tend to agree, I think games on BTSport UHD look quite a bit better than the standard BT Sport HD channels. 

Of course.

In think it comes about because of the fallacy about how you need to be able to see the pixels to benefit and some calculations of angular resolution of the eyeball Vs distance.  But those assumptions forget two points.

Firstly The aim is to not see the pixels

But secondly relevant to this thread is that additionally the higher resolution 2160 resolution means you don't need any edge enhancement etc to attempt to fix the rubbish smoothing done by the TiVo when it forcibly  scales from  576 or 1080 to 2160.

Like I said at the outset.  I shouldn't need to decide if I want a good 576, 1080 or 2160 picture just because some programmer clearly adapted the settings for their individual viewing preference.

Also it's disappointing that the more recent  "fix" for the error introduced in the earliest firmware upgrade (which we introduced at around the time V6 was released) was to change the help screen to match the incorrect behaviour rather than fix the bug.

----------------------------------------------------------

2020 Tivo-scaling bug (nearly resolved)

Virgin-TV-V6 Video-Output-Settings

.....no doubt, somebody WILL bite my head off for saying this, but I don't really care (and I 100% know who this will be) as I am the person in front of the TV noticing the changes.

I was playing around with the V6 Video Output settings last night and I can 100% honestly state, that on my Samsung 50" 4K TV (MU6120 model number), I see zero differences in picture quality whether I have the V6 set to 2160 & 2160 Passthrough or 1080i and 2160 Passthrough or any other combination for that matter.

It may have differences for others, but certainly absolutely none for me....

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Personally, @deans6571 , I concur.

Our observations suggest that our TVs and V6 have similar upscaling abilities.

For us, using only 2160P and 2160P passthru settings on V6 is the convenient solution - no swapping settings to watch the UHD broadcast channels.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks