cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having to keep rebooting TV 360 boxes

dibberly
Dialled in

Hi all

Any reason why about every 2-3 weeks i need to reboot both boxes (main 360 box and the mini box) because they become "offline", sometimes they eventually come back online by themselves but normally its quicker to reboot

Does not matter if i am using the the "go" app to set up a recording, or try to delete a recording on it, comes up with an error about the box being offline, also selecting the boxes at the top of the app they are both greyed out and says i need to reboot the boxes as they are offline.

When they are offline, on the mini box i am unable to delete any recording that is on the 360 box as its "offline" - says something about to check to make sure its deleted but the funny thing is that i can still play a recorded program on the 360 box on the mini box. Looking at the settings page, both boxes running the diagnostic shows they are connected to virgin servers, all boxes are connected via Ethernet? (if that makes sense)

Another problem i have with the mini box is that when i turn on the mini box after some time (not timed it) the screen goes blank for a second or 2 and then comes back on, ive googled the problem and i have found something about matching the frame rate in the settings but no matter what i have it set to the screen still goes blank!

Thanks for reading....Any ideas?

23 REPLIES 23

sorry i read your reply incorrect

I am not connected to any box so i cant disconnect from any box i am not connected to and i am unable to connect to a box that is showing as "offline (grey out)"

For many many years i had the old tivo box without any problems and since the upgrade to the new 360 boxes - i have had nothing but problems from about week 2

i just wished i could have gotten the 1gig BB speed, paid for everything but kept the old boxes and miss out on the UHD stuff, but your computer said no. I have a sim card that i cant use and o2 wont acknowledge the problem (wasting £25 per month) and TV boxes that are forever going wrong and really cant be bothered wasting countless hours on hold and then trying to explain to you agents on the phone about the problems . Dont get me wrong the new boxes are good when they work but i have had nothing but problems from the start.

Cant believe i am paying a premium price for a sim i cant use and stuck with these pieces of junk tv boxes

Hi dibberley,

Just been playing with the tvgo app and have found if you wait about 5 minutes after signing in you get the option to connect to both boxes, you can speed this up if you go to live tv and select something to watch, this must refresh the settings because if then press back both boxes are now not greyed out and you can connect to either box. This is using the app on android but should be the same on ios but who knows.

Thanks for the info Roy247...tried all your suggestions but its still the same

I can view live stream etc but the boxes stays greyed out...i can even view recorded programs even though the box is apparently offline!

Hey dibberly,

Thank you for reaching back out to us in our community and for thee update, we are sorry to hear you are still facing the same issue, I was able to find you on our system with the details we have for you and have run some checks, I can see you haven't rebooted the Router for over 38 Days, can you unplug the router and the boxes from the power and leave out for 2 to 3 Minutes, once plugged back in and back online can you press the home button, settings, change connection type, then select WIFI and run the connection wizard to make sure the connection is OK.

Regards

Paul.

thanks paul

i use the virgin router in modem only mode due to the wifi on the supplied equipment being poor and the one purchased being a lot better in coverage and speed

I haven't rebooted the boxes recently as normally they are recording something or the fact that i really cant see the point for them just to go offline again in a few weeks.

I have checked the app today and they are both online!! remarkable considering i have not touched them!

Hi dibberly, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this and confirming that the boxes are showing as online. 

Even when using the hub in modem mode, we would still recommend a reboot every few weeks to keep things fresh. As you have a separate router connected, make sure you turn the power off to both the Hub and router. Turn the hub back on and leave the router off. Wait a few minutes before turning the router back on. This should allow the equipment to connect correctly to each other to cause no issues 🙂

If you have any further issues, pop back and let us know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks for the reply Kath

but that is my original point...i should not have to reboot equipment every few weeks to keep it "fresh". The virgin boxes are the only things that i have problem with and again tonight on the mini box i am unable to delete a program after watching it due to it probably being offline

I have over 20 bits of equipment connected to the router (wired & wifi) but the 2 virgin boxes are the only things i have problems with so in my eyes its either sub standard equipment or poor cheaply made equipment and the simple solution is to reboot everything every few weeks which is not really acceptable as that can create more issues than its worth

Hi dibberley,

It's probably to do with stale ip addresses as you are using your own router, it's not normal to have to reset your Virgin hub every 2 weeks, my hub generally only gets reset if we have a power cut which is not very often. You may need to check the settings on your router and the Virgin hub.

Thanks Roy

Nothing wrong with the router as its been sold since purchase about 2-3 years ago - only thing changed is the Virgin boxes

I do have static IP address for certain items and the rest assigned by DHCP - hence why i dont want to keep rebooting everything in case stuff changes and i have to reconfigure again and again

Thank you for keeping us updated with this dibberly. Can you confirm when you originally got the Tv boxes? And when the issue began to occur?

^Martin