cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use wifi instead of Ethernet on my 360 box.

Scotty71
Joining in

I am using a new set up Broadband and Virgin TV 360 box. The set up works well but unfortunately the Virgin Media connection is nowhere near where I want it to be. I am unable to set up the 360 box using Wi-Fi, it appears that it it required to use Ethernet. Broadband speeds I have are over 300 mbps.

I need to get the Virgin media connection moved and I cannot find how I can request a visit to move the connection?

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Scotty,

You should be able to go into Settings > Network > Change connection type >

Press OK to change how you are connected, then use the direction wheel to select Wifi

The 360 should then bring up a list of SSID's to connect to (it might be easier at this stage to press the WPS button on the hub)

If you have problems remove the ethernet cable from the back of the 360 and try again

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

stephentucker
Up to speed

You need your 360 box to be connected to the coaxial lead at all times for that it is how you receive your TV signal. But as for connecting to the internet for  services such as netflix and other apps or to share recorded content with another 360 box, you can indeed connect via WIFI and should be a very simple process via settings and network.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Scotty,

You should be able to go into Settings > Network > Change connection type >

Press OK to change how you are connected, then use the direction wheel to select Wifi

The 360 should then bring up a list of SSID's to connect to (it might be easier at this stage to press the WPS button on the hub)

If you have problems remove the ethernet cable from the back of the 360 and try again

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Scotty71,

Thanks for using the forums to get this question about your 360 internet connection answered. 

I can see you've already been given some really helpful advice from the VIP's (thanks guys) did you manage to connect your 360 box via WIFI after this?

Please let us know so we can continue to help if you need us 🙂

Thanks,

Megan_L

Hi Megan_L, I have not been able to set it up. I keep seeing channel failed and it asks to check cables and reboot. This has not worked so far. When I connect via wifi it constantly asks for a ethernet cable to be connected. Error code CS20004.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Do you have an Ethernet cable connected to your 360? If you do, is it connected to your router at the other end? Either connect it at both ends, or disconnect it from the 360.

Although errors on live TV are indicative of signal or tuning issues.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again Scotty71,

As per my previous post, if you are going to use a wifi connection then make sure that you don't have the ethernet cable in the back of the 360..

Did you try pressing the WPS button the hub, then on the 360 click on Settings > Network > Change connection type > press OK > Wifi > then WPS setup and leave the 360 scan for the wifi?

After that on the 360, click on Settings > Network > Diagnostics what does it tell you? It should show if connected and the signal quality.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

Hi @Scotty71,

Sorry to hear you are still having problems.

As @newapollo has advised, remove the ethernet cable from the back of the 360 and try again. 

Keep us posted. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs