cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

360 box and coaxial cable install

Macka3
Joining in

I have recently signed up for a tv and broadband package for a propertly i have not long since moved into. the house is supplied with virgin fibre however the location where this comes into the property is on the other side of the house to where my tv sits. Is this the same cable (coaxial) thats needed to plug into my 360 box?

Am i right in thinking this fibre box now needs to be moved to the other side of the house in order to install the 360 box and does the router need to be connected to this directly? I was sent a self install pack so its looking like i wont be able to do this without an engineer now?

Any help would be much appreciated.

12 REPLIES 12

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your TV360 box requires 3 connections for it to function:

1: The co-ax cable carries live TV channels

2: The internet (which can be wired or wireless) enables OnDemand, streaming and various updates

3: HDMI lead connects to your TV

If you don't have the co-ax where you need it, then yes - you will need a manned engineer install.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Just out of interest sorry to ask.... but connecting wireless rather than a phsyical ethernet connection from Hub 5 to 360 tv box, is the only downside be on-demand/downloads be little slower? but picture quality/sound be ok as the co-ax cable is plugged in for that?

I have this dilemma with my new install as my router stuff is all in one cupboard but my living room is other side of the house, where my 360 tv box is.  I COULD get a ethernet cable to reach out to that if needed but i was wondering if i can get away with the new hub 5 speed/wifi coverage and not needing to spend money to run a 10m ethernet cable to the 360 tv box

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ethernet is preferred as OD content is IP based & does not use cable broadcast channels. So if the connection is not good with WiFi you will get vision & sound issues on everything except the live channels & recordings.

There is no buffer in the box of streamed content, so if the connection is to slow the box will abort the stream.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

The omni box at the front will not be moved but VM can, if adequate access is available, run a cable round the back for the installation of the 360 box and hub 5 in the living room. So, all that is needed here is a short Ethernet cable to connect the two. If you have equipment in your cupboard which needs Internet access you must run an Ethernet cable from the hub to a gigabit network switch in the cupboard (see my sig for an example of such a switch). If the hub 5 doesn't provide decent WiFi throughout the house, come back here.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Sorry so i understand this... the Mini if conecting via WIFI only (i.e it has a hardwire VM co-ax only), i can not record / watch recorded shows which are on the main box?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As per post#2, all VM TV boxes need the co-ax connection for live TV, and an internet connection for all updates, OnDemand & streaming.

That internet connection is best via Ethernet, but WiFi is fine if reliable enough.

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No, the WiFi connection allows the communication to the main box to set and watch recordings.

so as long as my WIFI connection is good i can record (on mini) and watch recorded shows on the Main box/mini? 

Sorry i am not sure if the main 360 box is the recorder OR both can record and watch in HD/UHD?

The mini is small because it has no hard drive, so has to use the network connection to stream recorded content from the 360's hard drive. However, unlike Sky's minis the VM minis support UHD and HDR.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection