cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continual intermittent dial tone indicating a new voicemail message

jeffas
Tuning in

My digital landline phone is continually giving the intermittent dial tone indicating a new voicemail message, but there are no messages. This was not the case immediately after switchover, but started after a few days. I complained to Virgin. They sent an engineer who got a "line reset" done. That cleared it, but a couple of days later it started again. So to check whether there are new messages, I have to call 1571 every time.

Anyone else having this problem?

23 REPLIES 23

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @jeffas 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

We're sorry to hear that the intermittent dial tone has re-appeared after the tech visit. I can appreciate how annoying that must be.

Please could you try unplugging the hub for me, leaving it for two minutes, then re-plugging back in and seeing if it clears it?

Keep me posted.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Thanks John. I assume you mean unplug from the power.

I've done that, 10:23 - 10:25+ today 27/08/2023. The intermittent dial tone is still there (with no voicemail messages).

Hi @jeffas 

Thanks for coming back to us. I'll send you a PM now to assist further as it'll potentially need referring to the Faults management team.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

loyalcust
Tuning in

Yes I had the same thing before the switchover but after Voicemail had been reset. If you do have a message the alert tone is different again. It seemed that this was a new normal dial tone for my area.

After switchover, the old normal dial tone returned. You have to accept that Virgin Media moves in mysterious, and often unfathomable ways.

W1dget
Joining in

I'm having the same problem I have tried unplug from the power, asked family member to leave voice mail message then deleted but still have landline phone is continually giving the intermittent dial tone indicating a new voicemail message, but there are no messages. Please Help

Hello W1dget.

Thanks for your first post and welcome to our Community.
Sorry to hear you are also having an issue with the broken dial tone.
I'd like to take a look into this for you.
If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security. 
If you can check your logo at the  top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L

alovella
Dialled in

I have same issue since having been migrated to digital yesterday 19th Oct 2023 and also 1571 no message either

Hey alovella, thank you for reaching out and I am really sorry to hear this.

I am going to send you a PM so we can look into fixing this for you, please look out for my PM. 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

jeffas
Tuning in

Having had several interactions with VM support, and been told different things, and remaining very unhappy, here's my summary.
1. An engineer visited, faffed about for a while (including changing a bunch of settings on one of my handsets, for no apparent reason), contacted some colleagues but was unable to help.
2. I was told (via 150) that I had both voicemail and call-waiting, and that these are incompatible. I never asked for call-waiting. It seems to have been added when my line was switched to digital.
WHY DO VM PUT INCOMPATIBLE FEATURES ONTO ANYONE'S LINE?
3. I was told that it was necessary to remove both features and then re-enable voicemail. But when I got through to customer support (who weren't available during the weekend), they said that it was only necessary to remove the call-waiting; which they did.

IT IS NO BETTER NOW.

What I think is happening is that there is no FUNCTIONAL problem; i.e. messages arrive, the dial tone changes, a message can be listened to, and the dial tone changes back.
BUT IT TAKES HOURS AND HOURS.
I left myself a voicemail and it took at least TWENTY HOURS for it to be signalled by the dial tone. After I listened to it and deleted it, it took another FOUR HOURS for the dial tone to change back.
What use is a voicemail system that takes this long to react?
The analogue system didn't have this problem. HOW HAVE VM MADE THEIR DIGITAL SYSTEM SLOWER THAN THE OLD ANALOGUE ONE? Not just slower, but massively, unusably slower.

This looks like a case of something that's free being worth every penny (and no more!).
Except that it isn't really free, is it. It's just included in the price without the option to do without and not to pay for it.

By the way, this page: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/managing-your-landline-calling-features
(and note that it specifies "landline") has a link labelled as "Find out how to set up landline voicemail here." (Note again that it says "landline".) But the URL is https://www.virginmedia.com/help/mobile/set-up-virgin-mobile-voicemail, which (as the URL indicates) leads to a page about MOBILE voicemail. Honestly, I despair!