cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi calling om Moto g50

martinGriffin
Joining in

I have a Moto g50 with Andriod 11.  Please advise how to get WiFi calling working as I have a very poor G4 signal in the countryside.  My wife has a Moto G7 on EE network and this wifi calling works and solves her problem.  Isn't Virgin mobile using the EE network?

I have just installed a G5 sim as I belieed this gave me wifi calling but there is no change.

19 REPLIES 19

Do you mean not supported by Virgin or not supported by the phone?

Gareth from Virgin told me he had switched it on in my mobile account and the Moto g50 is standard vanilla android 11 and suports wifi calling.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I would expect not supported by Virgin. I take it you have rebooted the phone since it was turned on.

If it is Vanilla Android then it should appear here. But I know from experience if the network does not support your phone it is not visible.

Screenshot_20210902-185152_One UI Home.jpg

You should also see this in the phone app

Screenshot_20210902-185559_Call settings.jpg

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

There is no icon on my phone as described so I contated Motorola and they confirmed everything is operational on the phone to accept activation of Wifi calling by Virgin.

I have read the list of phones supported by Virgin for Wifi calling.

Their web page states 'If your device isn’t supported yet, don’t worry, we’ll be adding 4G Calling to more devices soon' but the list of makes never changes and I have been monitoring it for a long time.  The reason I am taking the matter further is that the move to VP could well make the mobile service unuseable.

I would like someone at Virgin to contact me and explain how the coverage issue gets resolved.

Gareth from Virgin told me he had switched Wifi calling on in my account but nothing happened at my end.

Could someone from Virgin who understands the issues please contact me please.

Thanks for coming back to us @martinGriffin

We would have to advise if the device is not on the list of devices we support, there wouldn't be a great deal we can do.

What's worth noting from this link is;

All of these devices support 4G Calling if they are bought directly from us. If you are using a device that was bought from another network, or SIM free, we cannot guarantee that it will support our 4G Calling service. If your supported device doesn’t have the 4G Calling option available, make sure you have updated the software to the latest version and reboot your device.

On top of whether the device is compatible or not, it would also be handy to know if the phone was purchased from us, or a third party.

Can you also confirm if all software updates have been completed on the handset(s)?

It would also be worth noting the advice given above by @japitts, in relation to what the future may hold on Wi-Fi calling features with Virgin Mobile, where he advised;

You're a customer of Virgin Mobile, and it's the services that Virgin offer that matter to you. The fact that Virgin happen to use xyz network for their radio coverage, is irrelevant for this particular query.

If you want to avail of a particular service offered by Vodafone or EE, then you should be a customer of those operators directly.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Thankyou for your reply.

However, there is a problem! 

I purchased the phone from John Lewis recently as I wanted to [a] have the latest device & [b] make use of 5G when I was in a covered area.

I have been using Moto phones on your network for some years.

On your web site regarding Wifi calling it states:

'If your device isn’t supported yet, don’t worry, we’ll be adding WiFi Calling to more devices soon.'  However this isn't a true statement as the list rarely changes and as for the fact that you only offer the feature if the handset is purchased from you is a very restrictive practice.

A few weeks ago I changed my package with you from a rolling monthly deal to a two year 5G contract. I asked your operative if I could now get Wifi calling and was told YES.

I have now discovered from these discussions that you are moving from the EE network to Vodaphone.  I moved to from Vodaphone to virgin as the signal at my property is low to none at all.  This change of mobile provider was your decision not mine and will result in my being back where I started.

Further having raised this question with your staff Gareth_L wrote to me on the subject and told he had switched Wifi Calling on in my account.

I find the following statement by you offensive having been a customer of yours for several years and is no way to talk to a customer:

If you want to avail of a particular service offered by Vodafone or EE, then you should be a customer of those operators directly.

Please pass this issue on to a more senior person in your company so we can find a resolution.  If not I am happy to write to you CEO and make a complaint.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

All networks cover their back by saying they can't guarantee WiFi Calling if the phone is not bought from them. It doesn't necessarily mean it won't.

My S20+ dual SIM is a Central European phone and is happily working on both Vodafone and EE even though those networks operate WiFi Calling differently. 

I've never worked out why Virgin have not expanded their options.

As to moving to Vodafone, that won't effect WiFi Calling which is controlled 100% by Virgin's system. The move of network supplier was first advertised in November 2019. The move started January this year and will run for 5 years.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

If I don't have a mobile signal on Vodaphone network and Virgin won't [not can't] provide Wifi Calling then I would be interested to know how I make and recieve phone calls?

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hard to prove, as it's your word against theirs, but if you were told you could have WiFi Calling then you were miss sold the contract.

I was very specific about my question regarding Wifi calling being available and got a positive responce.

Also Gareth_L wrote welling me he had switched it on in my account!

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

My apologies for the inconvenience @martinGriffin - everything which could be said on the matter is stated above by our helpful forum team and VIPs.

I understand your frustration, if you'd like to escalate this as stated above, our complaints code of practice can be found here

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs