cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Calling add new models

Sappermajor
Up to speed

Hi VM how about opening the WiFi Calling to all suitably equipped Android mobiles. The signal from Vodafone at home is not as strong as the old T-Mobile/EE ones. Barely two bars now!!

Not such a problem for my wife with an iPhone but the list of supported Android phones is  limited to a few Samsung models.

Other providers don't have these restrictions.

Nick

15 REPLIES 15

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Sappermajor, thanks for the message. I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with the WiFi calling and we are always looking at improving the service, if you are still within the 14 days you will be able to cancel this under the customer satisfaction guarantee - ^Chris 

Hi Here is the reply on a post on the Sony Xperia 10 community forum. All sounds like pass the parcel.

• Well, Wi-Fi calling is a network operator related service and it has to be enabled from their end to be able to use it on your phone.
  • Sometimes, if you didn't buy the device from the same network operator you're dealing with, they won't be able to enable the service on your phone because as far as I know, it has to have a customised software from the network operator end installed on the phone, not from the manufacturer end.

Sometimes, if you didn't buy the device from the same network operator you're dealing with, they won't be able to enable the service on your phone because as far as I know, it has to have a customised software from the network operator end installed on the phone, not from the manufacturer end.

There are no Sony phones on the list.

@Sappermajor wrote:

I have a Sony Xperia 10 ii that I bought a year ago. It runs Android 11.

@Sappermajor wrote:

@Sappermajor wrote:

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Supermajor, 

I am sorry but it is up to Sony, the software is not compatible.

Zoie

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I've been looking into this, it appears there are only a handful of WiFi Calling  profiles which are used by most of the networks in Europe. Manufacturers have programmed these into their European devices.

From what I can only assume is that Virgin is somehow different. The problem is Virgin is a minnow in a big pond. Around 3.5 million customers on a multitude of phones means you are probably looking at a couple of hundred at the most with your phone. No manufacturer will update their firmware for that few on a network that does not sell that phone 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi everyone thanks for your replies.

It is what it is seems daft not to have a universal standard.

Apologies for the repetition in my last post 

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
There are standards for WiFi Calling and VoLTE, which is why they will work on devices in the first place

However my understanding is that it's similar to email - there are email standards which make the whole system work, and then each mail provider have their own settings.

It's then the settings that not all devices have, even from the same manufacturer.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own