cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency issue

Jakemarques7
Tuning in

Hi all, 

look at this rubbish, latency drops out even though I am wired to my router via Ethernet on my pc & PS5 and still have this to deal with.

getting fed up with this. Any help would be appreciated 

16 REPLIES 16

@Jakemarques7 wrote:

What do you advise?

BT is attatched below but drastically slower speeds. would they be better for latency in my case?

Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 13.45.46.png

Almost certainly.  Ofcom apply far more pressure to Openreach to avoid capacity problems than they do VM (ie "lots" versus "none"), and that usually results in better latency on Openreach connections, and your BQM shows such a poor performance from VM that I can't see any circumstance where Openreach would be worse.  And you'll have 14 days to check out a new connection under your cooling off rights.

But don't sign a 24 month deal with BT as that'll include "in contract" price rises.  Zen Internet will give you better customer service, an 18 month fixed term, and no prices rises during the fixed term.  Other even smaller suppliers still do 12 month fixed price contracts, though you need to choose carefully - being small is no guarantee of excellence.

ive taken out BT need to wait till the 27th, then will test them for a week before cancelling VM, two isps shouldnt be an issue should they overlapping for a week?

Nope. They can run together indefinitely. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Jakemarques7 wrote:

<snip>  two isps shouldnt be an issue should they overlapping for a week?

Absolutely not.  They run over different infrastructure.  However if both "Hubs" are transmitting wifi at the same time, it can cause wifi clashes as they will compete for clear channels etc.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

No problem, then we should be able to compare the 2 different ISPs and their ping levels. fingers crossed for BT lower ping.

lentichin
Joining in

I've been with virgin for a few weeks at a new home now and I've been trying to solve latency issues. I'm constantly spiking up 20-30 ping, especially around peak times, even when nobody else is in the house to use bandwidth. It spikes much harder though when people start using it for TV or youtube or whatever but I didn't have latency problems at my old place and that's on a slower package.

I'm on a wired connection and in terms of speeds it's perfectly fine, 530d 36u. I've been running a BQM for the last couple of days and was wondering if anyone could take a look and give me any ideas on how to go about solving this. Thanks.

@lentichin wrote:

I'm on a wired connection and in terms of speeds it's perfectly fine, 530d 36u. I've been running a BQM for the last couple of days and was wondering if anyone could take a look and give me any ideas on how to go about solving this. Thanks.

post it in your own new post for all to see

---------------------------------------------------------------