cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inconsistent WI-FI Signal

Jack59
Joining in

My WI-FI signal just drops off on different tech. My wife’s IPad can stay consistent and mine can just drop off or vice versa see photo. Sometimes my Firestick is connected with no problems but wife’s isn’t . Same with phones, ring doorbell and camera. Granddaughters ipad does the same thing. 

I have just looked back on a previous post I put on here from 2 years ago this had exactly the same issues. Some things never change. 
I have recently renewed my contract on condition they sent a new router. When it arrived I set it up and had no problems for perhaps a fortnight but it’s back to the same old loss of signal. Turn the router off leave for a minute turn it back on and it’s back ok on all devices. The problem is we all lose the signal for a few minutes and is inconvenient.

IMG_1558.jpeg

8 REPLIES 8

Client62
Legend

It looks like the device in the upper picture has connected on the 2.4GHz band, it is the device ( not Hub ) that makes the choice of band to use.   Using a split SSID makes it possible to force the device to use the longer range 2.4GHz band or the faster shorter range 5 GHz band.

Frequently folks complain about patchy Wi-Fi, the usual solution is to improve the Wi-Fi coverage significantly by adding sufficient Wi-Fi Access Points or a Wi-Fi Mesh. It is a very small cost when stacked against all the iPads / iPhones TVs and so on that make use of Wi-Fi.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

WiFi is a black art. Same manufacturers devices may have different chipsets with different characteristics.  Unfortunately VM hubs are tailored down to a price and have just adequate WiFi. That’s why an investment with Wireless Access Point/s or a Mesh system pays dividends in the long run. You can always use this type of system with whatever ISP you use in the future. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

I see no problem

If you think you can do better get your own wifi router

---------------------------------------------------------------

Jack59
Joining in

IMG_1559.jpegIf the equipment sent out by VM isn’t good enough ie the router then the problem is theirs to fix. My fire stick is 3 meters away from my router and look at the speed of it. It was ok this morning it was my iPad that fell off the WI-FI Again I had to power cycle. 3 times before 3 pm now

Client62
Legend

Try this link a browser. It reports the service speed to the Hub and between the Hub and your device ...

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Once the test begins click on:  Run full test to see all the stats.

Who are you? There is a problem or I wouldn’t have reported one. 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

There is no problem with VM wifi its running as expected 

---------------------------------------------------------------

cje85
Trouble shooter

The top screenshot with the 42Mb speed test also shows the connection as 'iCloud Private Relay' rather than Virgin Media. You might get better results by turning off private relay.