cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

40 MBs on 500mbs package for weeks

Hkoczian1
Joining in

Hello guys, I’ve been having issues with my internet now going into the 4th week and I’m starting to reach the end of my patience. I’m on a 500 mbs package, worked fine until 4 weeks ago when the download speed won’t go over 40 mbs at off peak times on an Ethernet connection. During peak times it goes as low as 5-6 mbs. Had an engineer that came over, changed the hub but could not fix the issue, he had no idea what is the problem. Regardless of wired or wireless connection I’m getting the exact lousy speed. Customer service couldn’t help me either. What can I do to fix this?? Tia

432EA20D-3139-405E-932D-0371D3563763.png

3E2097CA-698B-4ED2-A52C-E61C4A5C4BC3.png

533A34ED-9B49-4854-A6D7-3A37A1DC9595.png

  

8B0AB110-7564-44DA-A204-6DC3BF3C7A9C.png

CCEF0976-EEEA-462C-9492-84941DE73F51.png

55307ABA-3CB1-43B8-AA68-6F4D6B2326B1.png

CDAC2CCA-337F-4F8A-B4F3-E05CACABF57F.png

4F4769EC-9A3C-4EE3-94CE-91D7C5479C21.png

27 REPLIES 27

Have you run the samknows test? is your Hub getting the speed it is supposed to but not transmitting to your PC? if that is the case then I can help you through some things.

Hi Hkoczian1

Can I just ask how are things looking now

Gareth_L

It’s exactly the same nothing changed. Still getting 30-35 mbs on Ethernet. Had a new hub fitted and still the same issue. Already a month and a week and ongoing. 

@funnellboi 

For some reason I get an error message when I’m trying to connect to the Samknows speed test page. I’ve attached a pic 

52AB0BD1-D059-4042-971D-43B59E691CE1.png

If any of you nice fellas can sort this out for me or at least get to the bottom of it that would be wonderful. It was working absolutely fine 5 weeks ago. Was getting proper solid 500 mbs all the time then bang it went and since I can’t even stream Netflix properly. Sometimes during peak it dips down to under 10 mbs. Whenever i get an update for a game on PS I have to wait 1-2 hours for it to come through. 

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Hkoczian1,

Welcome back, thanks for posting.

I am sorry for the drop in your speeds recently.

I was unable to locate an account using your forums details, can you tell me if you have tried doing a pinhole reset? If not can you do this for me?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Put your Hub into modem mode. Connect it to a PC or similar and try the SamKnows test again.  It it still doesn't run, try a different ethernet cable.

Set up a BQM test and post the Live Link here.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

I have tried every possible reset. I was given  30 days from virgin to fix the problem. We’ll see how that goes. It’s just sad that I have to put up with these slow speeds over the xmas holidays. 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Hkoczian1,

Thank you for coming back to us and updating us on your speed issue. Sorry to hear that this problem is still ongoing and impacting your speeds.

I understand that the team is already investigating this issue. Can you tell us when the 30 days on this investigation will finish?

Can you tell us what Ethernet cable you've used to run your speed test? Have you tried the speed test on different Ethernet cables to see if this can cause a difference in the speeds?

Please let us know so we can monitor this issue with you and help further. 

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Paulina. The 30 days should end 12th of January. I’m using a Cat5 cable and the issue with the speed it’s across the board on all my devices. Tried different cables and no joy. It worked absolutely fine before so must be something easy to fix but I never saw anyone at the VM box on the street trying to fix it. Surely the issue is there or from the box to the house. Had a technician over a few weeks ago and he’s done nothing other than changing the hub. Im really frustrated with this as we can’t work properly from home.