cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspicious Email apparently from

caryl576
On our wavelength

Hi,

I've just had this email apparently from Virgin Media (the email address supposedly used is webteam@virginmedia.com which is where i get info that my new bills are ready

It's claiming that VM have been unable to process a payment and asking me to update my online quick pay details,

however  i pay by direct debit (and my last payment was taken ok on 11th April, and the next will be for a bill thats not yet been issued that will go out on 11th May) so i can only think that this is a scam email spoofing the a real VM email address especially as the log in link is pointing here to a web address with no obvious link to virgin [MOD EDIT: Suspicious link removed] which for obvious reasons i've not attempted to visit

I've copied the email text below

it would be helpful if somebody could confirm that this is a scam email so I can deleted and forget it (and is there an email at VM i should forward it to so you can try and stop it going out to anybody else?)

Update Your Payment Details
        your online Quick Pay 
Dear Customer,
Sorry to inform you that we couldn't process your payment for you account.
We suggest double-checking the card details,

Simply log into Your

[MOD EDIT: Suspicious link removed]
Date: 21th April

Your payment method will be retried automatically over the next few days.

Kind regards,

The Virgin Media team
Key information about our charges and fees

Payment Handling Charge: Your payment is made to Virgin Media Payments Ltd, which is responsible for collecting the amounts payable by you to Virgin Media Ltd. Just so you know, if you don’t pay by Direct Debit, Virgin Media Payments Ltd may charge a payment handling fee.

Late Payment Fee: Please make sure you pay the bill before the payment due date otherwise you may be charged a late payment fee. Please see our for details on our charges.

Failed Payments: If your payment has been cancelled or is not cleared by your bank or building society we might also need to charge you any bank or building society fees that we are charged as a result. Please see our    for details on our charges.

Help

My Virgin Media

Contact us
Please do not reply to this email
  Virgin Media Payments Ltd. Registered Office:   500 Brook Drive, Reading, RG2 6UU.
Registered in England and Wales No. 6024812.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @caryl576 

You are right that's it's spam. The log in link does definitely not belong to VM

I've asked admin to remove that email address from your post.

You should forward the email to  phishing@virginmedia.com 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@caryl576  Yes it has all the hallmarks of a phishing attempt and is similar to ones previously notified by the internet security team.

You can forward it to phishing@virginmedia.com but you may get a rejection notice.  This happens if VM are already aware of the scam.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @caryl576 

You are right that's it's spam. The log in link does definitely not belong to VM

I've asked admin to remove that email address from your post.

You should forward the email to  phishing@virginmedia.com 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

thanks for the fast confirmation  Graham_A and newapollo

I'll forward it on to VM as well

appreciate the help