coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Anonymous wrote:

It says 0, there is no message ?

I have just noticed something strange which explains why 😕

The original poster was @onpiopah1 

You are posting as @Anonymous  

@Paulina_Zwould have sent the PM to the original poster - onpiopah1 so it's no wonder this onpiopah account you are using cannot see her message.

If you are the same person posting under 2 forum names that's confusing and against forum rules but if you are the original poster you need to log in as onpiopah1 and I bet you'll see a "1" against the envelope symbol!

@ModTeamyou might like to check this out.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

19 REPLIES 19

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @onpiopah1,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am so sorry to hear this. Would you mind expanding on what's happened and why you believe this to be the case? Can you also confirm if you're looking to potentially change the details on a Virgin Media account, or a Virgin Mobile account?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

I noticed a dubious DD on my account - it turned out to be a genuine DD set up by VMobile for an Iphone they said I had ordered. I explained I had not ordered a phone - but a phone was delivered to my house.

In August I received a phone call I believed from Virgin Media offering me a limited reduction in my bill, they appeared to know a lot about me and asked for the 1st, 3rd and 5th character from my memorable word which was usual when I speak with VM, so it seemed genuine and they offered to send me details of the reduction by post. I was advised any issues to ring Kristy [REMOVED] extension [REMOVED] on [REMOVED].

But on ringing this number it says thank you for contacting o2 and Virgin media we will try to connect you – but then goes dead.

Nothing happened but a few weeks later they contacted me again to say they had now sorted the problem and I would get the discount – but they had made a mistake in the dispatch office and accidentally sent me a new Iphone which was for another customer. This arrived that day and they asked if I would kindly send it back as it was sent by mistake and as a good will gesture they would send me £50.

They gave me the address to send it back via “whatsapp” with what appeared to be a genuine Virgin logo. I have attached this.  From [REMOVED]

After speaking with Virgin Mobile they said the "fraudsters" had by passed security by using email to confirm the contract for the phone. And it was an email registered on my account, but would not tell me the email used. I explained I had never received and email , never ordered a phone and only every given three characters from my memorable word. Now I need to change my memorable word and shut down all emails apart from my one trusted email to be safe.

However the other emails I have are .ntlword. because the account is so old and i did learn that NTLworld emails were hacked into 5-10 years ago but these were never closed or I was never warned.

I have attached the Whatsapp messaged i received

onpiopah1_0-1661193070423.png

onpiopah1_1-1661193090240.png

Ian

Hey @onpiopah1, thanks for reaching out to us for bringing this to our attention.

I'm sorry to hear that you're going through this.
I will look in to this for you and send you a private message inviting you in to a private chat with myself.
Watch out for the purple envelope.

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Anonymous
Not applicable

Will do

@Anonymous wrote:

Will do

Do you actually have a brand new iPhone in your possession? If so then absolutely DO NOT send it back, or hand it over to any courier etc. I mean, personally, I'd keep it and deny all knowledge of it, but still.

The WhatsApp message is a fraud by the way.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You should review this information here which explains the scam

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/upgradescam

and also report the crime via Action Fraud

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/contact-us

They should give you a crime number which might possibly help you in the clear up operation after this event and they should be able to advise on additional things you may need to do to protect yourself in future from further scamming and identity theft.

Anonymous
Not applicable

No i was a fool and belived the whats app message.

i sent the phone on, my son said keep it but i told him that was dishonest, now he says i am an idiot

i informed virgin who said it was a scam . Why do they not tell customers of these so you can look out for them.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Anonymous,

Thank you for keeping us updated on this issue. I can see that my colleague sent you a Private Message. Please get back to them as soon as possible so we can investigate this issue further for you and see what we can do to help.

If you need further help with anything else, please let us know. 

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

i have not not noticed a private message where would it be located

ian