cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Door to door WiFi speed checks

DarcyF
Tuning in

Tonight we had someone call to my mums, dressed in a suit with lanyard visible but ID turned round. He asked who the Wi-Fi provider was and said that Virgin was one of the company’s that had employed his company to check if people were on the new or old WiFi cables. He asked to borrow my mobile phone so he could Google the wifi speed. I politely declined. 
A neighbour went out to speak to them. They would not show ID or tell him the name of their company. He is contacting the police to let them know. 
Have Virgin Media employed a third party to check wifi speeds? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

DarcyF
Tuning in

Thank you for the replies. A neighbour reported it to the police and other neighbours have all been notified 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Obviously not, it's hard enough to get someone on the phone they are hardly going to be spending money to send someone around to check your WiFi speed.

Cardiffman282
Super solver

Almost certainly a scam of some sort (quite what though I have no idea). You were all right to trust your instincts here. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

DarcyF
Tuning in

Apparently another neighbour let them both into her house. I have no other information about it though. 

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi DarcyF 👋

Thanks for posting, and welcome back to the Forums.

I'm very sorry to hear about this experience. As others have mentioned, this does seem very unusual and should be raising caution. Whilst we do employ Sales Agents who work in the Field, they are provided with Virgin Media O2 uniform, and ID cards. We do not hire 3rd-parties to do this on our behalf.

If you were to also request identification, they're more than happy to show this, rather than refuse. It would be best to report this to your local non-emergency Police line, who will record this and investigate further.

If this happens in future, it's always best to exercise over-caution, similarly to as you have done in this case.

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

DarcyF
Tuning in

Thank you for the replies. A neighbour reported it to the police and other neighbours have all been notified