cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM security called to inform my wifi was being shared without permission

siou
Just joined
  • Got a call from VM security, insistent that my wifi was being used by others  - what lights are on the router? (the light on the front) Haven't I noticed the broadband speed keeps dropping? (No) so I should go onto google play and install the Team viewer app she directed me to. I was going to get a new id number or ?  I said I wasn't going to do this while I was on the phone to her, how did I know it wasn't a scam - she said this is the security department . . . Well, I had no proof and put the phone down.  A gentleman called back immediately,  asking why I hung up. I said I was going to contact VM and ask them what I should do and then HE hung up.  Clearly a scam attempt,  am I supposed to report the incident to someone??
6 REPLIES 6

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes it was a scam, & is quite a common occurrence on landlines. If your phone number was originally obtained from Virgin & not ported in from another provider then it will show in the number identification tables that OFCOM publishes as a Virgin number. Scammers bulk call these numbers assuming that anyone using one is a Virgin customer. Hence the scam call relating to your Virgin WiFi. Virgin do not make outgoing tech calls like this, nor can they externally monitor use of your WiFi.

Is it worth reporting? Not really. Thousands of these calls are being made every day over the internet from scam call centres in India & several other countries. They can easily clone any UK number & make it look like a legitimate local call. Our ageing telephone infrastructure cannot detect these fake calls, hence there is no way providers can block them externally. The only way customers can block them is by using a personalised call filtering service.

So, roll on 2025 when the new VoIP telephone systems will bring in end-to-end authentication.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey siou, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the community I am so sorry to hear this.

This was defiantly a scan and I am sorry you had to go through this, with these type of calls we do try our best to stop them.

However they are very clever you can find more information about them here.

I am also happy to take to this PM to confirm to confirm this or ask anything about the account. Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

I was also nearly caught out by this scam which was quite convincing. If it is as common as you suggest why have Virgin  not published this in the form of a warning E mail to all virgin broadband customers. I was not aware of it suggest Virgin share this with the community,

Hi @Ped1953,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm sorry to hear that you had a similar call. We offer plenty of information on our website regarding fraudulent calls, how to identify them and the best actions to take should you suspect the call is fraudulent.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Ped1953 wrote:

If it is as common as you suggest why have Virgin  not published this in the form of a warning E mail to all virgin broadband customers.

This type of scam has been going on for a number of years now. How often should Virgin send the suggested email out? Every year? Every month? Every week? It will just annoy those that already know & will likely end up in most peoples SPAM folder as yet another nuisance Email.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Ped1953 wrote:

I was also nearly caught out by this scam which was quite convincing. If it is as common as you suggest why have Virgin  not published this in the form of a warning E mail to all virgin broadband customers. I was not aware of it suggest Virgin share this with the community,

Links below from the Met Police for three PDF booklets on a variety of scams and cyber crime which you may find useful for further information.

https://www.met.police.uk/SysSiteAssets/media/downloads/central/advice/fraud/met/little-booklet-of-p...

https://www.met.police.uk/SysSiteAssets/media/downloads/central/advice/fraud/met/little-book-of-cybe...

https://www.met.police.uk/SysSiteAssets/media/downloads/central/advice/fraud/met/the-little-book-of-...

The types and methods of the scams are ever-changing and the booklets are updated from time-to-time to keep up to date.