cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest Phishing News 19/02/2024

Int-Sec

Latest Phishing News 19/02/2024 We have been informed about phishing emails that contains the content copied below. They were NOT sent by Virgin Media and should not be responded to. Do NOT visit the link included in the mails or response

Email 1

YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED IN 10 DAYS

It's been a while since you've been active on your account. If you continue to be inactive, your account will be deleted in 10 days.

If you'd like to keep your account and data, sign in to your account and we won't delete it.

[ LINK REMOVED]

WHAT WILL BE DELETED?

If your account is deleted, You'll lose data from all account system and severs. 

Email 2

O2 Virgin.
Dear user

Your account will be replaced with our upgraded version on 20th of February, 2024.
Kindly update and safeguard your Webmail account by clicking the link below. 

[ LINK REMOVED]

We take the security of you seriously!

Thanks for choosing us,
Do not respond to this mail, please. This address is unanswered for mail.

Email 3

VlRGlNMEDlA

Prior to Nt1wor1d! Agreement...

"Starting from February 19th, 2024, Virginmedia1! customers who have not updated their emai1 account wi11 no 1onger be ab1e to 1og in to their Emai1 through email addresses.

customers wi11 have to verify their emai1 address to confirm

Kind1y View or Down1oad the Ao1 attachment to re-1ogin and verify now! 

[ LINK REMOVED]

We apo1ogize for any inconvenience this might have caused. 

Thank you, 

Nt1wor1d......

Email 4

Virgin Media

The version of our mailbox will be replaced by our new version as of /2024.  February .16. So it's time to upgrade so as not to be locked out of your email.

Please follow the link below to update your account : 

[ LINK REMOVED]

Thank You. Please do not reply to this message. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered

Email 5

O2

We'll make this quick for you

Hello

Account Number: *************

Here's a snapshot for this month:

Your bill goes up to:
24/02/2024

Your total due is
£68.23

We'll take payment of £68.23 by Direct Debit, on or soon after 18 Feb 24.

You'll find full details on what's in your bill at My O2.

[ LINK REMOVED]

Thanks,

Virgin Media/O2

Email 6

Important Message By virginmedia Support Team.

Time Runing Out, your account will be closed within 48h.
virginmedia Support Team

Attention! Security Termination Notice
Your Account facing some danger viruses today

could be Closed at Mon,29 Jan-2024. 
[ Final Warning ]
Account ID: [ INFORMATION REMOVED]
User: [INFORMATION REMOVED]
Discount: 90 %
Limited Time: Thu,01 Feb-2024
Email : [INFORMATION REMOVED]
Dear [INFORMATION REMOVED],

We have tried to reach your account several times with notifications and alerts, but we did not receive a response from you.

Action Required immediately because you are now unprotected against cyber attacks and hackers For your security, we strongly recommend renewing your subscription in the moment you seen this warning Because its too important to keep your account active.

Unfortunately, we will have to close your account if you do not take immediate action, as your account is currently facing a high level of security threats.

Please click on :

[ LINK REMOVED]

and follow the steps to ensure that your account will not be closed.
virginmedia Support Team

Email 7

Email Address Verification
Hello O2 Wifi user,
Please verify your email address Itsjustjake@hotmail.com by clicking the link below..

[ LINK REMOVED]

Kind regards,
The O2 Wifi Team

Email 8

Virgin mobile
Account Update

[ LINK REMOVED]

Update date:

15th February 2024

Account number:

Ending xxxx

Mobile number:

Ending xxxx

Your tariff:

34Day Promo 21.46 - 64GB + Ultd mins

[ LINK REMOVED]

Your payment will be taken by Direct Debit on or just A  fter 28th June 2024

Dear Customer,

We've identified a payment issue with your account that needs your immediate attention. To avoid any service disruptions, please update your card information in Your Account. Our system will retry processing your payment in the next few days.

Thanks for your quick response.

Best,
Virgin Media Team.

Email 9

Hello,

As we're updating our security methods, we need you to change the email address you use to sign in to My Virgin Media and any Virgin Media apps.

Change your 'sign in' email address

[ LINK REMOVED]

As we're updating our online security methods, these latest changes mean you won't be able to sign in using a Virgin Media Mail address. Instead, we'll need you to use an email address personal to you from another provider, for example Microsoft Outlook or Gmail from Google.

Please change it soon before our new security checks start by clicking the link at the top of this email. If you forget, we'll ask you to update it next time you sign in to My Virgin Media.

And don't worry, this change won't affect your current email address for using Virgin Media Mail.

To find out more, head to the 'Help if we've asked you to change your email address' section of our help page.

More information on these changes

Kind regards,

The Virgin Media team

Email 10

VIRGIN MEDIA!
Voice note notification from Virgin Media 800 432 **
3:29: sec

[ LINK REMOVED]

Email 11

Virgin media
Your Virgin Media Bill

Hello ,

This email is to remind you that your mailbox account eBill payment is due soon. To view your bill and make the payment, please click on the "View Bill" button below. 

[ LINK REMOVED]
£104.05
19th February 2024.

If you have any questions or need assistance, feel free to reach out to our support team.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Best regards,
The Virgin Media team

2 REPLIES 2

my_phone
Joining in

Unfortunately I panicked and clicked on the link! I had an email like number 11. I went to 'view' my bill. my phone then said the page it directed me to was suspicious. I left the page. Unfortunately, I have now been hacked and spam emails sent to my contacts. I lost access to my account for over 48 hours. I still can't log on without going through a 3rd party and changing passwords each time. 

What other scams/ data breaches/ fraud have I opened myself up to? 

I have since looked at the address from the scammers and it was false but in a panic to see why my bill was almost double I didn't look for any obvious signs that it could have been phishing. 

My mailbox stopped receiving emails at around the time the scam. Will the scammers just have been bots or have they managed to find more information from the data possibly stored in the emails?

I have been busy changing lots of passwords and trying to make sure that 2 step verification has been set up where possible.  

I have phoned virgin media (twice) but they couldn't really answer the question as to why I couldn't get back online. the first call said I had lost access and to use my primary account email. I spent two days trying to recover my account. The second customer service advisor, two days later, was much more helpful and told me how to recover my account. They still didn't really seem too concerned that I had been hacked. 

Below is a photo of the email that was sent to my contacts. 

photo of scam.jpg

Hi @my_phone 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

Please see here - https://www.virginmedia.com/help/security/why-is-my-virgin-media-email-hacked for further help. It advises what to do in this situation.

Have you now got access to your emails?

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill