cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wrong equipment sent to me for setting up my landline phone

Ennda
On our wavelength

I have had a Virgin Broadband and mail account for a long time and recently decided to switch my landline from Shell to Virgin. The switch is now in process of completion but is taking me hours of wasted time on the phone to both Virgin and Shell to sort out and confirm details. Tonight somebody who finally answered me on the Virgin number hung up while I was in the middle of talking to him. Virgin sent me a kit for setting up my landline phone with a Virgin hub but it's the wrong cables and the Virgin set-up instructions online don't match what was sent to me and the Hub I have. How do I find somebody who can tell me how to do the set-up? I'm old and this isn't easy for me. Can I get an engineer to do the set up without paying an extra charge? Moreover, Shell sent me an email today saying my landline was being moved to TalkTalk Communications but that's wrong! It's supposed to move to Virgin landline as Virgin has confirmed. I'm tearing my hair, can anybody help?

25 REPLIES 25

Ennda
On our wavelength

Many thanks for all your help goslow. The trouble is I don't know what you mean by 'logging ln' to the hub or where the 'admin pages' of the Hub are because my Mac is plugged into the Hub constantly and I don't need to log in. I use the internet all the time and loads of different apps but I've never needed to consult the Hub itself - how to do this? If you there's a link to online Hub admin pages, what is the link? Sorry to be a nuisance!

goslow
Alessandro Volta

'Logging in' to the hub just means you are accessing the administrative pages of the hub (which allows you to see how the hub is set up and gives you the ability to change certain settings if required)

This video shows you how to log in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzNdsYtoUCI

You have to use the SETTINGS password from the sticker on the bottom of the hub NOT the wifi password.

Watch the video from 0:22 to 1:26 only, just to see how the telephone info is presented on the 'Welcome' page. You don't need to change anything just check the telephony status.

At 1:26 you can see the telephone status at the bottom of the screen which shows 'Telephony (Disable)' indicating for that hub in the video the phone line is not set up. When the phone line is ready on the hub it will say something like 'Ready' or 'Enabled'

Ennda
On our wavelength

Before reading your latest reply (thanks!) I Googled to find a link to an admin page of the VM Router/Hub and got it with the Welcome page, typed the password exactly as it is shown on the label at the back of my Hub but it was rejected as incorrect. I typed it again absolutely correctly (and it wasn't the WiFi pwd but the Router one) and it was rejected again. Maybe my Hub is out of date (though it works). It's VM Hub 3.0.  I'm giving up for now but will look up the video later on. I really appreciate your patient attention. Have a good evening.

Thanks for coming back to us Ennda, I can confirm that your Virgin Media line is active and should work via your hub on the temporary number now. If you wish to discuss your number transfer, we can discuss that further but we would need to do that via a private message as we cannot share such information over the open forum. If you'd like to look into your number port let me know and I will send a private message over and we can pass account security and discuss your port.

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

Ennda
On our wavelength

Many thanks Steven. As I've mentioned here in other replies, I have not been able to connect into my VM Hub anything from the "Kit' sent to me by VM because it doesn't fit. So I don't see how my VM line could possibly be active at the moment. (My old landline is still working). But I did finally manage today to talk to someone, on the pre-installs team phone number, and he booked a visit to me from a VM technician for next week. I hope this will at least solve the Hub connection issue. As for my number port, yes, I would really appreciate your contacting me via private message. 

Thanks for coming back to us Ennda, I hope that the engineer can resolve your issues. I will send over a private message to you right now and we can get started looking into your number port order.

Kind Regards,

Steven_L