Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shambolic Installation New Build

Sattar97
Tuning in

IMG_1035.jpeg

IMG_1484.jpeg

Today we had an engineer appointment for VM to come and connect up our services at our new build property. Once the engineer turned up he quickly advised that the white coaxial cable installed by the house builders had been cut too short for them to connect anything to it - no services, working from home and no broadband don’t work well together!

Before we joined virgin the white cable on the outside of the house was long enough for VM to do as they needed, as per the picture. After registering for VM services and before our install date I had received a text to say pre-installation work had been carried out and was complete. No prior communication from VM to tell us that someone was coming to do work to the external of our property, we didn’t give permission for the cable to be cut!!

To the eye the pre-installation was just a brown external box having being installed.. we didn’t realise that when this was installed was also when the cable was cut back!!!

tried to call VM today to speak to someone who understood the situation, no chance of that happening.. not a clue at what the problem was and no real way forward other than another engineer appointment, just for me to be able to actually explain what’s gone on and find out who did this during the pre-installation phase!!! Not going to be able to run a new cable through the property as this was done during the electrical first fix before plaster work was done!

total waste of time, going around in circles and no clear way to rectify VM’s incompetence. 

expect a reply by return as moved in and both working from home from Monday!!!!

14 REPLIES 14

Hi @Ilyas_Y

the person I spoke to on the phone from the installation team has booked another engineer appointment, however the engineer that turned up on Friday said they couldn’t do anything as the wire that ran inside the house to the external box has been cut too short.

the issue remains whoever came to do the pre-installation work is at fault. I want to know what date and time they came to the property.. as well as what Virgin are going to do to solve this issue. 

we aren’t going to settle for a wire to be ran around our new build property because someone is incompetent at doing their job.. whoever came to do the pre-install.

please get back to me 

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Vm technicians won't be able to fix this, you would need a handyman who can cut the plasterboard where the hole is on the inside and pull the cable back, the technician can then join a new piece and push it back through the hole again.

I didn’t think VM’s technicians would but it’s for them to fix as they’re the idiots that caused the issue in the first place!

Hi @Sattar97

Thank you for expanding.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused, but provided a technician can access the outside of property to perform the necessary pre-installation work then you won't necessarily be notified as to when this will happen. We just make sure it's done before the booked and agreed install date as this helps to speed up the install.

When is the installation booked for? If any issues arise from that regarding this, let us know and we can proceed from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Jonny-M
Fibre optic

That is a reply that can only come from not reading the thread