cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Put new hub 4 inti modem mode, can still see/use internet on hub 4 As well as from connected other router

Compno
Joining in

Hello

so I had the new hub 4 as part of a gig1 upgrade.

set up the hub and then put it into modem mode to run my wifi 6 netgear nighthawk Rax80 router wifi 6 service.

thing is in list of connections available I can still see the hub 4 and my nighthawk router and can connect / use them all!

wondering if this is a router up address thing, hub router address shows as 192.168.0.1 and nighthawk router Shos asIP address as 192.168.1.3

all works fine, just can’t log into hubs settings page as says password isnt correct but I have photographed it and know it’s right

is this something I should be concerned about?

thanks

ian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

if you can access it using 192.168.0.1 then its not in modem mode or should not be - what colour is the ring light on the hub 4 - in truth not sure what colour it should be - just off to check

EDIT according to the lights page the light does not change colour in modem mode but the ip should be 192.168.100.1 - if it is still in router mode you are asking for problems with a router attached - put that in access point mode until you can sort out modem mode

try a full reset on the hub - hold the button a good 30 sec then see if you can log in - if not it needs changing

Tony.
Sacked VIP

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

if you can access it using 192.168.0.1 then its not in modem mode or should not be - what colour is the ring light on the hub 4 - in truth not sure what colour it should be - just off to check

EDIT according to the lights page the light does not change colour in modem mode but the ip should be 192.168.100.1 - if it is still in router mode you are asking for problems with a router attached - put that in access point mode until you can sort out modem mode

try a full reset on the hub - hold the button a good 30 sec then see if you can log in - if not it needs changing

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Hi 

thanks for reply

the ring at the top of the hub is white

i can access the hub using either IP address, which is weird unless I’m picking up someone else’s hub 4, but the name of the vm Connection name is correct for both ipaddresses?

will try hub reset, but will have to wait until I have a few hours free

thanks again

ian

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sounds like you are running both the Hub and Nighthawk in Router mode. You need to put the Hub 4 in modem mode and turn it off for 5 minutes. The Nighthawk needs to be set for Automatic IP WAN address.  When set leave the Nighthawk on and connect to the Hub via cable. Switch on the Hub 4. After about 10 minutes check the WAN IP of the Nighthawk, it should be something like 82.x.x.x , not 192.168.x.x 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Suggest if you want to stay on the 192.168.1.x IP range you change the address of your router to 192.168.1.1 as 192.168.1.3 is not a particular good address to have and remember, also check the DHCP range of your router.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Compno
Joining in

Hi all

well, two hours of modem / router work and all is well

reset hub 4, put into modem mode, attached nighthawk router and all is well

thanks to all for help, all of it used at one point or another

now have super wizzes wifi, according to Speedtest.net in mid 80Mb/sec

thanks again

ian

Hi Compno,

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first posts.

Sorry to hear you were having issues with your hub in modem mode and your 3rd party router. I am however glad to see @-tony- , @Tudor and @Adduxi were able to help resolve this.

Please continue to monitor this and let us know if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs