cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to VM bb, gig1 threaded or push fit connectors...?

Richieb75
Joining in

Hello all, I used to have VM way back but left and got BT infinty.

Coming back to VM and getting the Gig1 with the super hub 4, i have seen some people mention about push fit connectors, and not sure if the VM socket i have at home is going to be usable or not as it's a threaded connector?

I am receiveing the kit via courier on saturday, put a couple of pics below, could anyone confirm if i'm going to have any issues connecting it all up!

Thanks, Richie.

plug 2.jpg

plug 1.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If it's Quickstart, you'll get push fit cables - but they're design to work on screw fit connectors, so it'll be fine for the wall socket you have.

The phone wall socket won't be used - any Virgin Media home phone will be via a phone port on the back of your Hub.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

15 REPLIES 15

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If it's Quickstart, you'll get push fit cables - but they're design to work on screw fit connectors, so it'll be fine for the wall socket you have.

The phone wall socket won't be used - any Virgin Media home phone will be via a phone port on the back of your Hub.

Ahh ok so the push fit will work with old, about 12 year old! threaded connectors, excellent thank you!

Only getting the broadband and not bothering with a land line anymore.

Glad to know it will all work out of the box... so long as VM remember to flip the switch their end :0)

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Richieb75 wrote:

Ahh ok so the push fit will work with old, about 12 year old! threaded connectors, excellent thank you!

Only getting the broadband and not bothering with a land line anymore.

Glad to know it will all work out of the box... so long as VM remember to flip the switch their end :0)

Just make sure the old thread is fairly clean and not crusted with old paint etc. or it may not push on.  Yes, hopefully the cable has not been disconnected at the street cabinet or outside at the omnibox on the wall.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Another point, as you have received a quickstart kit it will probably contain an isolator cable (cable with a big ‘blob’ on it). You do not need this as the wall box already contains an isolator.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Not all wall points do have them which is why it's on the cable too - although most recent once should have it.
There is no harm having two isolators as far as I'm aware, and as the OP doesn't have a cable connected to the wall point, they'll probably need to use the cable anyway.

Richieb75
Joining in

Capture1.JPG

 Thanks, for the replies all, kit arrived saturday morning, and the push fit went straight over the threaded wall connector no problem.

And as you can see form the screen grab the download speed looks good too, not sure if it'll ever hit 1000 but it's 20x faster than my old BT connection!

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You'll need to repost that image as it has your IP address in it so I've rejected it.

Also you won't get to 1Gbps on the Hub 4 to a single device. as it's got Gigabit Ethernet so has overheads which bring the maximum wired speed down slightly.

You can run a Speedtest at www.samknows.com/realspeed when in router mode to confirm the speed to the Hub.

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Richieb75, thanks for your post and sincere apologies for the delay in responding to you.

It's great to hear that you were able to get activated with no problems, and your speeds are all above the minimum guaranteed too (which is 565mbps FYI).

I hope everything's still working well for you, but any issues please don't be shy in letting us know.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Whoops rookie mistake :0)

Capture.JPG