cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help please to progress pre-install

johng6
Tuning in

I signed up to VM as a new broadband customer on 20 Sept and was given an installation date of 6 October.

This was not met – I was told because an access point needs to be created outside my property.

Since then several further scheduled dates have passed with no work being done and online chats have promised me work that has not happened.

I opened a complaint on 17 October to which I have had no response. When I called on 23 October to speak to the pre-installation team and to escalate the complaint I was told that someone would contact me that day. I am still waiting.

Today another scheduled “Service request” has (almost) passed with no sign of any progress either in the road, at my property or with my complaint.

I am getting increasingly worried that if I cannot make progress soon my current supplier’s contract will end and I will be forced to sign up to a further contract.

Any help and advice on how best I can get someone at Virgin Media to progress this would be much appreciated.

29 REPLIES 29

JBe
On our wavelength

Hi Tom

Thanks for your note.

May I suggest you check out my thread https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Multiple-Failed-Installations-zero-commun... 

You'll notice I've not been in touch with anyone from VM - including pre-installs teams.   I do have another fake date however 😁

Best regards

I can see my colleague Lee has responded to your post on your own thread today @JBe

Thanks

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks @JBe

Totally agree with your suggestion.

It really shouldn't take a genius to work out that Virgin Media's current way of working must be costing them money, angering customers, putting off prospective customers and to be honest making them look either incompetent, uncaring or both. It seems extraordinary to me that they are prepared to operate in this manner. For us customers, communication and knowing that someone was taking responsibility for progressing these issues would be a real step forward.

Meanwhile my latest date has been missed again. But it's only an estimate so that's ok then...

Well I had 2 Service Requests scheduled for today and someone actually showed up!

For the fourth (or fifth?) time a Kier team arrived and like the previous visits they were surprised to find no access point and so were unable to do anything. Some progress has been made however - they have remarked the road where work is required as the previous paint applied on 1st October had worn away!

I now have a new Service Request date scheduled on the system. I don't know whether it is progress or not that I am no longer being given any fake installation date.

I asked a few weeks ago if anyone on these forums is able to escalate issues to an Area Manager but have received no reply. I appreciate that, with an installation so far delayed by only 4 months, there are people on these forums in a worse position than me, however I feel that my case deserves to be escalated - possibly even to the extent that a manager calls me to let me know what the hell is going on...

Thanks

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi johng6,

Thanks for your responses and welcome back to the community.

From looking at your account, I can see that you currently have appointments booked for you to prepare the property for an installation.

From here we wouldn't be able to escalate the complaint to an Area Manager per say however, what I can say is that the complaint has been escalated to the correct team for this issue to be dealt with accordingly.

Thanks and all the best, 

Kain

So can anyone explain why if "the complaint has been escalated to the correct team for this issue to be dealt with accordingly" is there still, after over 4 months, no progress ?

Yesterday we had our sixth wasted visit - we are getting to know the contractors well - still no access point as construction will require traffic control - a fact that has been known since 1 October but apparently VM and/or their contractors are either unable to understand or to organise.

How, without spending hours on the phone being transferred around the world talking to people who know nothing about my issue, can I escalate this to an Area Manager?

Thanks

Hi johng6, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. 

I understand the frustration the delayed installation is causing. 

Even with a complaint raised, this doesn't make the work get done any quicker. The teams still need to follow all processes to ensure permits and permissions are correctly gathered. The complaint has been raised to note your dissatisfaction and so the relevant install teams are aware that there is an open complaint. 

From the last update on the account, which was done yesterday, it looks as though due to how narrow the road is, they will be needing to close the road altogether. This may come with it's own set of issues so the teams are chasing for approval for this. 

I can only apologise for the delay. At this point it is just a case of remaining patient and waiting. Failing that, the only other thing we can offer is to cancel the account for you to allow you to get services elsewhere. 

Apologies once again. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Many thanks for looking into this, Kath_F

Your reply is encouraging - the fact that yesterday's update recognises that a road closure may be required to create an access point is real progress - the last five wasted visits have been because the engineers were not made aware of this. I know that the local council can approve a closure of this road with 5 days notice so I am now more optimistic that progress will be made soon.

Thanks

Thanks to those on this forum who provided advice.

Eventually, after 9 months of wait with many missed installation dates, an open complaint but not a single meaningful, useful communication, VM decided that my address is non-serviceable (despite the fact that my immediate neighbours have connections) and have cancelled my installation.

For the benefit of others facing similar problems I strongly recommend opening a complaint with VM and then, if things are not resolved, it appears that the best way to get a response from VM is to open a case with CEDR.

When I was informed that my installation had been cancelled I was told that I would not get any compensation.

Having opened a case with CEDR, just before an adjudicator was to be appointed, VM emailed me informing me that compensation would be paid. I agreed with this settlement and withdrew the case.

VM then sent me a cheque for a smaller amount!

An email exchange and a threat to take legal action failed to provide any explanation for this. I re-opened the case with CEDR and, as if by magic, a further payment was made (with no explanation or apology - but that was not a surprise).

The idea of faster broadband had seemed attractive but I wish I had never started on this journey – for me the compensation does not make up for the stress of the whole experience of trying to deal with Virgin Media.

Hi @johng6

It is very disappointing to hear about the issues that you've had with us, I can assure you that this isn't the standard of service that we aim to provide. I am deeply sorry about the delay in installing you and the then the decision that your property was in fact not serviceable at this time. I am glad to hear that a settlement was reached and eventually fully paid, again I can only apologies for the customer experience you have had with us. 

I do wish you all the best with the provider you choose. 

Please let us know if you are having any further issues or have any questions at all. We'll be here to help on the community forums if needed. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley