cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Existing line, new Wifi

Harryj14
Joining in

I have recently moved in to a new build high rise flat and there are virgin media connection points in the flat so I have chosen to go with virgin media Wi-Fi. What I can’t seem to understand is why an engineer needs to be sent to install the Wi-Fi, will it not just be a case of self installation? 

1 REPLY 1

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Harryj14 wrote:

I have recently moved in to a new build high rise flat and there are virgin media connection points in the flat so I have chosen to go with virgin media Wi-Fi. What I can’t seem to understand is why an engineer needs to be sent to install the Wi-Fi, will it not just be a case of self installation? 

If you are in a new high-rise block of flats, the internal cabling will run to a central connection area/cupboard and from there out to the street.

A technician will, possibly, be required to make sure the cable to your home is connected within that comm's area and then check the signal levels in your flat, once connected.

If you have a date for the visit, you might also want to find out what the access arrangements are for the technician to get to that space, if needs be. Topics occasionally pop up on here where the tech visits a block of flats and cannot work because s/he cannot access the comm's cupboard.