cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 months for instillation!

Aaliyahp1
Tuning in

I order virgin media broadband back in August. Since then the installation dates have been cancelled again, again and again…

Every time I call up to speak to someone (currently multiple times per week) I get told “the external instillation is being fitted today”. I get told the exact same thing everyday yet the external is not yet fitted.

They use the excuse of “there’s a car parked over the required area”. I have left 4 notes on peoples cars requesting they move it and also coned off the area. The area has been free for a week now and still no one has came to do the external fitting. 

I work from home and I am now expected to be dismissed due to my inability to work. This is disgraceful. 

8 REPLIES 8

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Aaliyahp1 wrote:

I order virgin media broadband back in August. Since then the installation dates have been cancelled again, again and again…

<snip> I work from home and I am now expected to be dismissed due to my inability to work. This is disgraceful. 

Your story has been repeated on here many times over and for many different customers who are waiting. The fake promises of the work 'definitely' being done are also a common theme.

If your job is at risk, you should put in place some alternative kind of connection such as a mobile hotspot/data SIM on a rolling monthly contract. Alternatively look at a connection from an Openreach-based supplier, again possibly on a rolling monthly contract.

Your VM installation may happen soon or you may be waiting many more months and be no further forward. No one at VM can/will tell you anything useful that you can truly rely upon. You have had information on VM's compensation scheme in your earlier topic about this, so let VM's (non) installation run its course while taking the necessary steps elsewhere to allow you to work from home.

Appreciate your response.

I’m currently using a dongle however I live in a signal dead zone so I may get 2mbps at maximum. I can do some normal tasks but definitely not what is expected of me.

Unfortunately as a 20 year old who lives alone I can’t afford to keep trying different dongles.

As I’m tied into a 12 month tenancy I can’t even move out.

I really hope Virgin Media get their act together very soon.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Aaliyahp1 wrote:

Appreciate your response.

I’m currently using a dongle however I live in a signal dead zone so I may get 2mbps at maximum. I can do some normal tasks but definitely not what is expected of me.

Unfortunately as a 20 year old who lives alone I can’t afford to keep trying different dongles.

As I’m tied into a 12 month tenancy I can’t even move out.

I really hope Virgin Media get their act together very soon.

If a mobile connection is no use, then you should look into what options are available from an Openreach-based provider on a rolling monthly basis.

It would not be impossible for you to still be waiting for your VM installation when your 12 month tenancy expires!

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello Aaliyahp1, thanks for posting on our help forum and sorry to hear of the delays in installing your services.

We'd love to help, from our checks there seems to be some cabling work to complete so we can connect you and this should be done before your install date.
Have the team previously reached you via email or call to advise more on the reasons causing this delay and do you have a new date confirmed for this installation?
Please, tell us more and we're happy to advise.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

@Adri_G

The OP explained in the very first post some of the excuses they have been given for the lack of an installation.

I think they have come here for answers, not questions. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Yes the current installation date is 25th January however I do not believe that for a second.

the external installation was supposed to have started last month. Everyday people fail to show up. Every time I call I get told “it is being done today”. It most definitely hasn’t so I don’t believe that I will have Wi-Fi on the 25th.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for your replies and for sharing more on this, Aaliyahp1.

We appreciate your concerns as well as the inconvenience caused by this, in regard to cabling and construction please visit this link for more. 

As you're enquiring about the external work to be done before we can install you, please be aware this should be completed before your new install date on 25th January.
However, we do not require your presence for such a work as it's not a home visit - this will only be asked of you during the install itself.

You may rest assured our team will complete this as soon as possible depending on availability since it's a 2 manned job as well.
For install delay compensations, please view more on this page.
Let us know if you have more questions or concerns, eager to assist.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

well the good news is you are entitled to a fiver a day from the 1st install date and maybe some missed visit's compensation of £25 so keep some notes as VM will wriggle and likely offer little to nothing - whatever happens dont cancel let it run and add the fiver a day - if and when you do get installed see what happens with offers of compensation - dont accept less - if they go their usual route you will have to take it to arbitration but that should be fine - come back here for help

as to meaningful help from forum staff or on the phone - forget it - start with the knowledge they know nothing and will do less - the computer says it will happen tomorrow when it does not then it will happen the next day and so on - the system is broken and pm's from staff here will tell you little as obvious above

you can expect the next excuse to be they have found a blockage and need a council permit to dig - 6 to 8 weeks is likely to be mentioned - a lie as it takes councils 48 hours[usually] to issue permits - but add the fact VM are likely to take weeks to apply and further weeks to actually do anything then it may be 6 to 8 weeks but just more of the broken system

so as said above look at openreach and see what they can do but again if you find something DO NOT cancel the VM install

Tony.
Sacked VIP