cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Internet may not be available"

Beckface-gb
On our wavelength

Total networking dummy here, so apologies if this is info-lite. Over the last week, our Hub 3 router has been frequently bringing up the error 'Internet may not be available'. Yesterday for example it happened four times, at different periods (morning, midday, evening, night). Our devices are connected fine to the router, so we believe it's something being caused on the router end. This is disrupting my working from home, so I would like to get it sorted.

Has anyone else had experience of this, and if so what was the cause/solution?

For background: we had a new Hub 3 router installed last week. Our last one was an old Hub 3 workhorse that we'd had for years, but the engineer replaced it as he reckoned it wasn't taking in updates properly and was causing frequent disconnection issues to our devices.

The 'Internet may not be available' error message didn't come up often with Old Hub 3 (although just before the engineer arrived, I did have another connection issue: this one seemed slightly different as the lights on the router, arrows and wifi icons, were blinking green and behaving unusually, so the engineer suspected it may have been an update - hard to tell!)

25 REPLIES 25

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Post your power levels and network log please for comment. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Happy to - could you confirm what you mean by power levels and log?

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Beckface-gb 

There are a lot of tech guru's on the forum that can look into your issues but when posting the hub stats they need the full details from the Router Status page. Open a broswer and type in 192.168.0.1  then click on "Check Router Status"

On the page that opens please  copy/paste 3 FULL sets of data onto here (not screenshots) – from the Downstream, Upstream, & Network Logs pages. 

You should also set up a BQM monitor  at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you can post the link straight away.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi Beckface-gb, 

Thanks for taking the time to post about the issues you are having with your hub connecting to your WiFi devices. 

Checking our systems, I can see all is looking well with the Hub in terms of power levels, uptime and time outs. There are no faults open that may be affecting you either. 

There are so many things that can influence a WiFi connection some of which include but are not limited to, a fish tank being in the same room, walls being built with concrete instead of brick, it could even be that your next door neighbours router is interfering with yours. Due to this, we are only able to offer limited help. Please have a look here: WiFi Help

The Hub's location could also be causing the coverage problem so we do need to check the positioning of it. Can you please ensure the following: 

• Out in the open
  • Next to the TV not behind it
  • Away from large bodies of water (e.g. fish tanks)
  • Away from baby monitors and cordless phones

Think of the Hub as a radio, and WiFi as the sound - the further away you are from the radio, or the more obstacles that are in the way (walls, electronic devices etc.), the quieter the radio & the poorer the WiFi. 

If that doesn't help, you can download our Connect App which will allow you to scan areas of your home and will offer help. You can view more information on that here.

Finally, you can view more about our new WiFi Max service here

Please keep us posted on how you get on.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Dave, thanks for the info and sorry for the delay in replying. I've set up a BQM - can I check this is the correct setting please?

Beckfacegb_0-1680706249290.png

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @Beckface-gb 

You need to select the 2nd option - cable  broadband eg Virgin Media 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi Kath_F

There is definitely a fault with the Hub - it's disconnected twice from all devices (laptop, mobile, and PS4) in the last 15 minutes (15:42, 15:37).

I can confirm the Hub 3 is sat in a suitable position. The walls are brick, there's no fish tank/bodies of water/etc in the house. I'm sat within 3 metres of it on my laptop (I WFH, this is where I work) and the PS4 is stationed within 5 metres of it. The engineer confirmed the placement was fine and that the devices should not be disconnecting as frequently as they are, especially when I'm sat in the same room.

Definitely post up the hub logs and power levels as suggested by @newapollo

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7