Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi in garage for Camera

golf20vT
On our wavelength

Hi,

We have a detached garage which we want to use a couple of Blink cameras

we have a hub 4 and 2 x pods around the house, however we think we need either another pod or repeater? (the garage is probably 50 yards from the house) any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks 

5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @golf20vT

Welcome back to the community!
Do any of the options @Cardiffman281sound like a possible way forward for your Blink camera set up? We might be able to look at another Pod for you if you wanted to try this, but I cannot guarantee that this would give a strong stable connection or reach the area needed. You can have up to 3 Pods for your service. 

Let me know if you prefer to try one of the other options in the thread or another Pod.

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
TBH wifi over that distance might be flaky especially if its raining or snowing 🙂

The best way is always to run some external grade Cat6a ethernet cable from the Hub out into the garden and down to the garage and just attach a wireless access point on the end of it to provide wifi and ethernet connectivity.

Ethernet is good for up to 100m and the cable can be buried (use conduit) or attached to fences/walls etc

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I presume you are going to use WiFi cameras for security reasons. They are not very good for security as WiFi is so easy to jam, you should always use wired cameras. WiFi cameras give a false sense of security.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I presume you are going to use WiFi cameras for security reasons. They are not very good for security as WiFi is so easy to jam, you should always use wired cameras. You will also find that many cheap WiFi cameras "call home" to China all the time and you have no idea what they are sending back. WiFi cameras give a false sense of security.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2