cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi for garage?

theyoungsavage
Tuning in

I have a garage about 15 metres from my house and the wifi is unfortunately not reliable at this distance. I have preciously installed three Netgear Orbi wifi extenders to deal with dead spots throughout my house, and although expensive, they have been effective internally - but unfortunately not externally.
Any low cost suggestions for how to get wifi to reach my garage, I am trying to set up a small office and it would be much more useful with net access...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

If the Orbi is running in router mode, and the hub in modem mode, you'd need to run the ethernet cable to one of the Orbi units as only one ethernet port is live on a hub in modem mode.  Ideally, connect the cable to the primary Orbi, but if that's not feasible there's a good chance you'd have an acceptable connection connecting the cable to a satellite Orbi, even if that's using wireless to the primary.

In terms of what to put in the garage/office, putting an extra Orbi unit is probably overkill.  If you've got the money, why not, but if you'd cope with a 100 Mbps connection then something like a Netgear WAC104 access point would be a much cheaper alternative.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Best way is run a Ethernet cable from your hub to the garage. You could move one of the existing units to the garage or just buy a small network switch and a Wireless Access Point.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

If the Orbi is running in router mode, and the hub in modem mode, you'd need to run the ethernet cable to one of the Orbi units as only one ethernet port is live on a hub in modem mode.  Ideally, connect the cable to the primary Orbi, but if that's not feasible there's a good chance you'd have an acceptable connection connecting the cable to a satellite Orbi, even if that's using wireless to the primary.

In terms of what to put in the garage/office, putting an extra Orbi unit is probably overkill.  If you've got the money, why not, but if you'd cope with a 100 Mbps connection then something like a Netgear WAC104 access point would be a much cheaper alternative.

g0akc
Problem sorter

If it's really not possible to run an Ethernet cable (preferably external grade) there are some wireless point to point bridges available - typically using licence free 5GHz frequencies.  Can be expensive.

We have some to provide 'internet' at a remote location - the units are 'mini microwave systems' and about the size of a builders bucket with feed horn/dish.

There are various products on the market depending what you want to spend, or if you can pick something up cheap.  Some are PoE so you can inject their power supply onto the Ethernet cable that feeds their data.

This link for information only

There are also some wifi antennas and access points designed to connect devices outside, at a distance - one of our local pubs uses such so that their staff can use a card machine in the beer garden - or another for customers to use

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!