cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pop up on PC saying internet disconecting and reconecting

infidel
Dialled in

I am having issues with the new virgin router disconnecting and reconnecting every few seconds. When typing in comments on Facebook or YouTube emails. It makes it impossible to type in as you have to reset the cursor on the page each time taking about half hour to write a short comment. I am connected by direct Ethernet cable to my computer This never happened with my old VM router. What is strange it never happens when I am on this VM community site. What is going on?              

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Legend

First call 0800 561 0061 - use the automated service to see if there is a local service issue.

If no fault is reported, try the test below & check the full stats for any signs of packet loss at the PC.

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Once the test begins click on: Run full test to see all the stats. ( inc packet loss )

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

15 REPLIES 15

Client62
Legend

First call 0800 561 0061 - use the automated service to see if there is a local service issue.

If no fault is reported, try the test below & check the full stats for any signs of packet loss at the PC.

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Once the test begins click on: Run full test to see all the stats. ( inc packet loss )

infidel
Dialled in

Its saying nothing is wrong. But it is my internet is disconnecting and reconnecting every few seconds.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What happens when you... try on other devices - try swapping ethernet cable and try it over wifi?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Client62
Legend

The key challenge is to discover if the Hub is loosing connection with the VM Service or it is your PC or your mobile that is halting its WiFi adaptor and causing the repeated disconnections. 

If the Hub looses connection with the VM service that often results in a change to the lights / symbols on the Hub to signal a fault.  Windows laptops can cause WiFi disconnections if the power saving settings allow the computer to pause to WiFi adaptor. 

If you are using a laptop try with it connected to the power supply and with an Always On  / Max Performance power plan selected.

infidel
Dialled in

My PC is connected directly to the router by ethernet cable not WiFi only a solid white light showing no faults.Could it be the cable itself causing the problem Its 25 years old but worked with the old VM router with never a problem. It disconnects and reconnects so fast I only have an issue when typing anything. I am not tech savy on these matters.       

I'm going to suggest a 25 year old cable will not be at least cat5e, which I would consider a requirement with newer HUBs.

infidel
Dialled in

I will change it and give it a try. Any advice on what ethenet cable is suitable with the new virgin router?

Anything really as long as it's the correct length for you, and at least cat5e.

Something like:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-rhinocables-Ethernet-Network-Internet/dp/B00EJH2J8G

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you tried using a wifi connection for a while to see if the issue still crops up?

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali