cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost Packets

paulfulton1
Joining in

paulfulton1_0-1682279957766.png

Every 30s or so I get a lost packet.  It makes playing games impossible.  Any ideas why this might be?  I have a Virgin Hub through an Orbi Router and Wifi.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

lotharmat
Community elder
Do you lose the packets on ethernet?

Need to rule out a WiFi problem!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Looks like you are just pinging your own router, so the problem probably lies in it. By the way ICMP packets go on a TCP IP network at the lowest priority and can ‘easily’ get lost.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Tudor wrote:

By the way ICMP packets go on a TCP IP network at the lowest priority and can ‘easily’ get lost.

Not really if your idle.

wifi can drop packets because well wifi so test by wire

---------------------------------------------------------------

@Tudor wrote:

Looks like you are just pinging your own router, so the problem probably lies in it. By the way ICMP packets go on a TCP IP network at the lowest priority and can ‘easily’ get lost.

ICMP doesn't travel on a 'TCP IP' network. There is no priority or otherwise for them as they travel regardless. 

IPFreely
Fibre optic

@paulfulton1 wrote:

paulfulton1_0-1682279957766.png

Every 30s or so I get a lost packet.  It makes playing games impossible.  Any ideas why this might be?  I have a Virgin Hub through an Orbi Router and Wifi.

Thanks

The issue is between your Orbi and your device. Likely the WiFi connection. Assume you're using 5 GHz WiFi and have made sure your Orbi isn't clashing with another wireless router in terms of channel? 

thanks, here's my Orbi setup for this device:

paulfulton1_0-1682317679782.jpeg

Not sure how to know if there are clashes.  

Tried the thinkBroadband log but it looks weird!

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/c84d2833d0c8d5bc575cdd8f70a3a445ba... 

You need to enable ping on your Orbi
---------------------------------------------------------------