cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I extend WiFi by connecting a device using an Ethernet connection?

feng192
Joining in

This is not specifically for Virgin but I suspect people in this group will have solved this problem. I have recently had a hub 5 with gigabit internet installed - it works great in the house but I have a garden office that only gets a weak signal. I have connected a single ethernet cable from the router to the outside office and this connects brilliantly for one item.

But I would like to improve the WiFi signal in the shed as I have more than one device. What kind of device do I need to do this please? Is there a suitable piece of kit that would connect to the router via a cable then extend the WiFi locally to the office?

I am not clear whether WiFi extenders only pick up a WiFi signal and then repeat it - and I do not know of those with ethernet ports use this as an "input" or an "output".

2 REPLIES 2

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi feng192, 

Welcome to the Community and thanks for posting. 

We would be happy to assist with any concerns you may have with the WiFi service. 

Have you checked out our WiFi Max service? If not, more information on this can be found here

Please let us know if you have any questions. 

Thanks, 

Nat

Client62
Legend

As you already have a network cable in place, consider a Wi-Fi Router configured in Access Point mode this would add additional network ports and provide Wi-Fi service for the garden house.