cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM threatening to take away my Blueyonder e-mail

Anonymous
Not applicable

As some of you may be aware I am leaving VM as I get all I need from my O2 contract. After yesterday it 'seemed' to be all going smoothly until retentions just called.

Now I knew that I would lose my VM e-mail accounts (fine) but now they are threatening to also delete my Blueyonder e-mail that I got from Telewest about 25 years ago and use for business and personal.

I have raised a complaint, but they say this could take up to 28 days to action (my services are getting cut off in 25), on top of OFCOM is there anything more I can do? I might even test out Elon’s new Twitter freedom of speech!

I just want to get this sorted, as I said, I am still with O2 so I don’t see the problem. The guy from retentions said I would have to phone the head office... where do I get this number?

Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your Blueyonder email addresses are part of your Virgin Media services and, as such, in my opinion, they should rightly be removed.

Time for you to move your email to something independent of any ISP.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

You won't like this, but....if you're cancelling services, then surely it's obvious they're not going to continue to provide an email service for free?  Just because Google offer email "free" doesn't mean there's no cost, so no reason VM should offer you services for free.  And having a contract with O2, so what?  They're a different company, even if the UK holding companies are merging.  What do you hope to achieve by complaining?  "Please sir, I'm cancelling my contract with VM, and I'm outraged that VM have responded by cancelling my contract" ? 

I might also suggest that you've had years (or at least months) to give this thought and setup an email account under your own direct control.  There's Google, Outlook, Yahoo and others offering "free" accounts.  Or you can pay.  I recently did this, and have set up a personal email complete with my own domain name.  Ten quid a year, not reliant upon any ISP, and if I ever need to I can transfer the domain hosting to any one of a number of companies.

Sorry if that comes across as unsympathetic, but there it is.

stuartgreen
Dialled in

I think the point is, when he signed up for a blueyoder email address it was independant and had nothing to do with VM or is now current VM account and services. 

I agree him cancelling his accounts relating to his TV services shoudnt impact an email address that should be independant of these

Anonymous
Not applicable

My other point is that for 3.5 years I had no ISP and my blueyonder e-mail still survived. It is not a financial thing; it is just being done out of spite. The guy on the end of the phone was expecting me to fold and keep my contract just for an e-mail. I have other e-mails already; it is just going to be a pain in the 'rump' to contact all the businesses etc. to change such a basic thing.

Thanks for the advice.

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Telewest became NTL which became Virgin Media.

The fact that you retained an email service as a non-customer has nothing to do with your current situation.

Virgin Media are quite correct in now removing this service from a non-customer.

Change your business email to a non-ISP service. Do it now.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@Ernie_C  The fact that you retained an email service as a non-customer has nothing to do with your current situation.

@Anonymous That in itself was probably part of a long running blunder by VM, because for years now the policy has been to close email accounts when customers leave.  Other companies have taken a more enlightened view (eg Sky), but first up they don't have to do that, and second, there's nothing to force them to keep doing that.  But we're here to help, and you're going to have to change, and notify all your contacts.  Using Gmail in future is feasible but any free service can be cancelled at the whim of the provider, so you really need a permanent solution, probably a paid one, and ideally one that is reasonably memorable and perhaps professional sounding?  Agreed? 

Head over to Ionos

https://www.ionos.co.uk/domains/domain-names

Assuming that your full name is actually Kripti K Chicken, search for the domain KKChicken.   At the moment of me writing, kkchicken.com or kkchicken.co.uk are both available at a quid for year one, and a tenner thereafter.  If need be consider less desirable domains like dot family and dot online.  Buy the domain, and it comes with a single included email account that you have to setup after you've bought it, I suggest as kripti. When you've configured your email client, you're now kripti@kkchicken.com - how freakin' cool is that?  If you try for a surname without initials for your domain, then is pretty unlikely to work, since most of these have already gone to companies using their founder's names, and if you're unlucky enough to have a common initial and surname combination you might have to play around a bit to get something that works.  Worst case, change your name by deed poll to a set of random or special characters.  "Hello, I my name is [%^)&^*, the human formerly known as Kriptikchicken"

The Ionos interface is a bit industrial for setting up the email account, I'm afraid, but if I can do it so can you.  You can of course pay a bit extra and setup a web site and have Ionos host it, or again for a few bob more add multiple email accounts, but for the purposes of creating a personalised domain and email account those aren't necessary.  So there you have it: Set yourself free from ISP email forever (don't forget to keep paying the £10 domain fee though!).  Helpful notes: As it's a new domain some corporate email systems will try classifying your mail as junk, this seems to wear off after a while and hasn't so far caused me any major problems; The passwords that Ionos require you to set when you create the domain and the email account are unusually long, so write them down carefully; The included email account "only" has 2 GB of storage - you can pay for more, or periodically delete stuff from the server, but unless you're emailing large files then you should be able to store around 10-20,000 emails in that volume (ten years of my Blueyonder emails, subject to deleting dross from time to time is only 1.5 GB).  Plenty of other domain registrars and domain+email services in the market, depends what you're after.

Your invoice for my consultancy services is in the post!

Hi kriptikchicken,

Thanks for posting, and sorry to hear you've decided to leave us. 

If you do decide to go, any email addresses associated with the Virgin account would be removed, this included any Blueyonder addresses as the community have confirmed.

So I can discuss your complaint with you I've popped you over a private message to get a few more details from you (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm

garner
Dialled in

Blueyonder email address is the only reason I'm a Virgin customer, and I'm fully aware that leaving Virgin means losing that forever. I signed up for NTL Telewest back in the day, so I didn't consciously decide to join Virgin.

However, given the recent Netflix debacle, the offshoring of all customer service activities, and the fact that my Blueyonder account is old enough to have pwned in countless security breaches, I'm definitely going to change ISP when this contract comes up.

If you use iCloud, Apple has an excellent custom domain email hosting service for 79p per month (plus your ongoing domain registration fee). Use that and be free of ISPs holding your email account hostage.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@garner wrote:

Blueyonder email address is the only reason I'm a Virgin customer,

Yeah, and unfortunately, they know this! Also, thanks for your other constructive advice. At the cost angle, my brother also has a Virgin Media account and so we are investigating whether I can get my e-mail linked to his account and therefore cost NOBODY any extra money and there is no logical reason why this can't be done in minutes. I only wish that the new connection between O2 and VF does not harm the customer service of O2 because they have always gone above and beyond to help me. Even retentions have started calling me after I gave my 30 days notice!