cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre phone switchover

chrisjg
Joining in

Hi, 

I'm not keen on switching over, and only use the landline for incoming calls. 

The faq's say that incoming calls will still get through even if I don't switch.

How long will incoming calls continue to work? 

== in case people want to know more ==

Why don't I want to switch? 

1. Phone and hub are not physically close together, and neither are to be moved. 

2. Don't want holes drilled in walls/ceilings and more cables visibly routed through the house.

3. Health issues mean landline is needed for incoming calls from health professionals. Landline is rarely used for outgoing calls. Health pertains to someone in the house, but the person supporting them changes, so the mobile number of one carer is not the most practical solution.

== other solutions we are considering ==

1. Cancel the landline and buy a cheap mobile phone as a replacement. Keep it plugged into the charger and keep it where the landline sits now. But this requires another contract, and payment setup, etc. Which is 10x more complicated when setting things up on someone else's behalf - even with all the relevant permissions and paperwork in place. 

2. Cancel all virgin media (phone, broadband, TV) and move to a different supplier. If we've got to move things, drill holes, etc, why not go somewhere cheaper.

12 REPLIES 12

Thanks goslow, that's very informative. My router is upstairs and my phone is downstairs. I'll be able to use an existing phone extension cable, to a redundant upstairs RJ11 phone socket, to marshal a new phone cable to a new socket close to my router. The total distance is about 15m. If that's too far I'll need a different solution. Thanks again. 

Hi @CaptainSensible,

Thanks for coming back to us about this ongoing issue. If you're having issues with your landline and broadband Hub location during the switchover, we'll be able to arrange for a technician to attend the property and assist with the switchover and to ensure that both Hub and landline are in a good location for you.

If you need any further assistance, please let us know.

Thank you. 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

OK, thankyou Paulina_Z.