cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media Gadget Rescue

Bootney
On our wavelength

From 23-24 April 2021 I could not receive any emails I tried for two for two days but could not fix this problem.

As a lost resort I call 0800 0147397 for help only to be FORCED to pay for a service I DO NOT WANT to fix this problem -

I Now have to pay a Virgin Media Gadget Rescue  £20 start up fee and for £5.00 for 6 months

Is this the norm for Virgin Media when a customer of over 20 year be forced to pay for a service to fix my email problem

20 REPLIES 20

Hi Bootney,

Thank you for your post. 

I'm truly sorry to hear about the issue you've had regarding the Gadget rescue. 

I have been able to locate your account and do wish to help further. 

What I will do is private message you so we can look into this further. 

^Martin

Bootney
On our wavelength

Please do

Please do keep an eye out for the private message. 

^Martin

Hi there, 

I'm experiencing a potentially similar problem. My Macmail has stopped downloading emails from my blueyonder email address. I keep getting an error message saying pop3 has rejected the password, although the password is correct. I can still send emails from Macmail.

Virgin Media keep directing me to gadget rescue, it's very frustrating and they've been useless so far.

I just thought I'd ask what the solution was, as it's not posted further up the thread, only a post saying the email problem was fixed.

Thanks.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@DaveCon1 See if this post helps:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Pop3-Authentication-Errors/td-p/4747603/jump-to/first-unr...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you so much @Graham_A

The problem now appears to be fixed.

GAGET RESUE.

I was offered gadget rescue after ringing the 150 help line, india.

I had a connection issue with the hub3 to my v6 box and also my sky now box on 12/7/20201, it would only work with an ethernet and not wifi.

I was asked did you install the v6 box youself or did an engineer install the v6 box.

I answered yes, it came by post in 2019 and I connected the leads myself. I was asked to check leads were tight.

I was told I would be "charged" for an engineers visit and offered "gaget rescue" which is a third party service in india,.

I presume the charge would be because I mentioned a sky now box which is third party equipment.

I then suggested "myself"  that I would do a pin reset myself of the hub3, which reset settings to default and got some connection again, the problem had occurred after switching on mac filtering so that was probably the issue, and also the guest channel was not connecting and I have dissabled that now, I still have a guest channel connection issue but am not using guest channel now I have disabled it. I have now got mac filtering working.

My advice to anyone would be to try the pin reset on the hub3 first if you are technical enough to do that and log onto the settings web page  by typing the link 192.168.0.1, before signing up for gaget rescue which is £60 to fix  or a monthly fee for continued support, or go to the community for help.

If the system is down and no connection then ring150, but I may consider getting a sim dongle, so if broadband goes down and you do not have a smarphone then you would have a backup connection. Some isp providers now put a sim in their hub as a backup, the virgin hub does not have this facility?

alf28

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Good advice as there are far too many examples on the forum of customers being erroneously referred to Gadget Rescue for issue that Virgin Media should be addressing.

Lasky
On our wavelength

I got referred to them for a Virgin Media DNS caching issue, my website DNS records were not being updated by Virgins cache servers... It is a scam in my opinion, they charge crazy amounts for fake fixes that dont work and then expect more.

sarlscharisma
Joining in
I can't believe VM promote Gadget Rescue, the service they offer is terrible. I got a letter from you informing me that I had a piece of malware on one of my devices and recommended I contact Gadget Rescue. Given that nearly all my 10 devices are either Apple or Chromebook I was surprised about this.

Anyway I approached GR and got a subscription with them. The then put Anti Virus software on my machine and ran a scan. Nothing was found. Then he told me he was all done and all my other devices were now safe. I work in IT so I knew this was a blag. On the basis of installing their software on one machine means all my other devices are safe is a joke. The engineer kept contradicting himself as I challenged him. I told him I was not happy but he seemed to ignore my concerns.

I got straight onto VM after this and got them to uninstall all their software from my device and was told no charges would be made. However 2 days later I get a email from GR telling me I was subscribed and billed me for £20 and £5 a month charges.

So I had to go through the pain of contacting GR as VM will not deal with their customers. They said they would cancel my subscription an no charges would be made. But today I get a bill for £20 as a one off charge even thought they offer a no-fix, no-fee!. They found no malware and could not tell me what device it was on. This seems to me to be an opportunity for GR to sell their software and literally do a cut and run. A really shocking service! I have paid £20 to have an 2 hour nightmare dealing with sorting this mess out.

Please VM you can do better than this.