cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote log off from e-mail

johnwn
On our wavelength

I have lost my phone and possibly someone else has access to it.   I have changed my password for VM e-mail.  

On a different (non VM) e-mail account that I have, I access via 1and1-IONOS, the webmail interface is identical (ox), but it has an option to remotely log off other devices from the e-mail account.  That does not appear on the VM webmail.

How can I do this from Virgin Media?  so as to be sure no one else can access my e-mails.

13 REPLIES 13

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"On a different (non VM) e-mail account that I have, I access via 1and1-IONOS, the webmail interface is identical (ox), but it has an option to remotely log off other devices from the e-mail account.  That does not appear on the VM webmail."

@johnwn 

The old VM webmail interface did have that option but as you say it seems to have been removed when the new Webmail interface was introduced.

@ModTeam   is there still an option to "Sign out of all instances" of Webmail anywhere? 

I have just tested the current "Sign out" option and that seems to just sign you out of the account on that device. It signed me out of the account on my laptop but did not sign me out of the second instance of my account which I had open on my phone.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Whilst waiting for the forum team to respond consider trying the following where two browser sessions are used  to validate webmail sign in status and termination.

• open Incognito / Private mode window (Ctrl + Shift + N or Ctrl + Shift + P)
  • Perform the following steps in the browser window specified in the column:
    StepsNormal mode windowIncognito / Private mode window
    1sign into webmailsign into webmail
    2select ⚙ > Security 
    3change Automatic sign out to 5 minutes 
    4wait no less than 5 minutes 
    5confirm webmail automatically signed outconfirm webmail automatically signed out
    6sign into webmailquit session
    7select ⚙ > Security 
    8change Automatic sign out to previous value 

NB unlike the previous sign out of other session option there is a chance other session that an other session user may simply cancel the action when prompted.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Correction…

@用心棒 wrote:

NB unlike the previous sign out of other session option there is a chance other session that an other session user may simply cancel the action when prompted.

NB unlike the missing sign out of other session option when a session times out a prompt  is shown allowing for cancellation.

johnwn
On our wavelength

Thank you for the suggestion.  I did change the option to 15mins when I lost the phone.

But your example is about closing another instance of Virgin Webmail.  It does not guarantee that the same would log off another mail client on a mobile - does that client check the same parameter?  Of course if it is logged off, it can;t log on again as I changed the password.

I can't think of any reason why Virgin would disallow "remote log off" of other clients logged in, when the Ionos version of the same software does allow it.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@johnwn wrote:

But your example is about closing another instance of Virgin Webmail.  It does not guarantee that the same would log off another mail client on a mobile - does that client check the same parameter?  Of course if it is logged off, it can;t log on again as I changed the password.

As far as I can see the new sign out time period does affect  other Webmail sessions as well.

I can't think of any reason why Virgin would disallow "remote log off" of other clients logged in, when the Ionos version of the same software does allow it.

Neither can I and hopefully the option will be restored.

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @johnwn

Welcome to the community. 

Really sorry to hear you've lost your device. I have asked my colleagues for further advise on this to see if there is anything further we can do at our side. Once they come back to me I'll update you with anything we can do to support further. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Any update on this issue as miscreants appear to be taking advantage of it, see Email hacked and cannot stop hacker continually ad... - Virgin Media Community - 5123427

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @johnwn

I have been advised if you can please try sign in via webmail and then on your account to see if an option to sign out of active sessions is available or if you can change your password at all. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Carley_S wrote:

Hi @johnwn

I have been advised if you can please try sign in via webmail and then on your account to see if an option to sign out of active sessions is available or if you can change your password at all. 

FYI:

• the option to sign out of other active sessions no longer exists in webmail
  • password can be change via My Virgin Media but a change of password does not invalidate active sessions